• Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea
    Post Thanks / Like

Default It does everything...

The following in red is confusing, though I can translate it literally. What is it saying?

Worse than having to wait for a hot new product that's already been paid for... is dropping the dough for a new gadget and then finding out that a brand new, cutting-edge version is coming out days or weeks later. Technology moves fast... Ask Nate, an early adopter of the Apple TV who e-mailed Steve... when he discovered that it would not support the major new feature promoted in the latest version of the product, which happened to retail for a drastically cheaper $99 price. The feature he was referring to was AirPlay, which facilitates the streaming of music and video between two Apple machines. Steve reasoned: "It's different technology. It does everything it did when you bought it."

Thank you.

SoothingDave is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: It does everything...

The customer felt cheated because he bought an early version of a product with fewer features that cost more money. Jobs was having none of that argument, stating that the customer was not cheated because he got what he paid for when he paid for it.

There was no promise to support future developments to the buyer of the earlier product. No features were taken away. It did x, y and z when the customer bought it and it still does x, y, and z today. The customer may wish that it now does a and b, but it doesn't. It does today exactly what it did when he bought it.

Barb_D is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The more you post excerpts from this book, the more evidence I see to support the frequently made claims that Jobs, although a visionary, was a real jerk.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

unpakwon is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea
    Post Thanks / Like

It's a big help. Thank you.

Yes. He was sometimes a real jerk. And he showed a real jerk can do great things.