Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Hi,
I'm staying in Australia at the moment and I've heard this expression: "full as a goog". I've understood that it means "to be drunk", but could it mean also "be full", "can't eat anymore"? Because if I'm not wrong "goog" stands for "egg".

Thank you.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Hi,
I'm staying in Australia at the moment and I've heard this expression: "full as a goog". I've understood that it means "to be drunk", but could it mean also "be full", "can't eat anymore"? Because if I'm not wrong "goog" stands for "egg".

Thank you.

I've never come across "full as a goog". perhaps it's exclusively Australian.

ice&fire

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Ok thank you. :)

cherylwhite153

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
From what I know, goog is an egg. "Full like an egg"

ice&fire

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Thanks. We have the same idiom in my country, I just wanted to make sure it has the same meaning also in English.

fairlyrosey

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Scotland
Hi,

Thank you.

I'm Australian. We use "full as a goog" all the time and it means that you've had enough to eat. That you are literally "full". That's all. It's nothing to do with alcohol, that would be an incorrect way to use that phrase. My mother told me goog is a Hungarian word for egg (an egg is completely full, hence the saying) but I don't know if this is translation is correct.

mrghd

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary
I am Hungarian and 'goog' does not mean 'egg' in our language. Egg is 'Tojás' in Hungarian (Pronounced cca. as 'Toe -yush')

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
I've always assumed that the Australian "goog" came from the same source as "googie egg", which in my NZ childhood usually meant a boiled egg that you would place in an eggcup, slice the top off and have for breakfast.

The on-line Irish Language Forum has this note: And found another interesting term "gogaidhe a childish name for an egg". In Australia children say "googie-egg" and sure enough Oxford has "goggie noun. N. English & (now only) Scot. dial. L18. [Origin Prob. alt. In Scot. use cf. Gaelic gogaidh. Cf. goog.] (A child's name for) an egg."

I don't know which edition of the Oxford this refers to, there are no goggies in mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.