Any adjective for a person who has a good credit history, please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi,
Could you please tell me if there's any informal/formal adjective used for such a person? The adjective refers to a person who always pays his debts back by the time they were supposed to. (This may not be a repetitive action or else!!! :))

And, is there any more general adjective referring to a person who's reliable and gives you back what they'be borrowed from you on the time agreed on before? (Contrary to those who'd either forget it, or give you back the thing but in a form you didn't expect, say, by damaging it, or missing a part or so on.)

Thanks!

FreeToyInside

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
China
Regarding credit history, in spoken AmE we usually say 'perfect', 'good' or 'bad'. People with perfect credit often like to use the actual credit rating system's designation of 'AAA' (read as 'triple A') to describe their credit.

'I have perfect credit' or 'I have AAA credit.'

For your second question, I think your adjective 'reliable' is a good one to describe it, or just a short sentence stating that they pay back quickly.

A: I just lent XX $100, and now I wonder if I shouldn't have.
B: Don't worry, XX is always good about paying back money.

In AmE, 'reliable' is very commonly described in the phrase 'XX is always good about ...', like in:

'My son is always good about doing his homework without being told.' (I never have to tell him, he always does it himself)
'The landlord is always good about making repairs.' (The landlord reliably fixes broken things, broken things get fixed quickly)

(not a teacher, just a language lover)

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Such a great help. Thanks! Just, about the first one, then isn't there any one-word adjective (without 'credit') describing such a person? I thought the word 'credit' might not be that commonly used in every-day English, among close friends or so.

Thank you so much for the reply! :)

FreeToyInside

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
China
Such a great help. Thanks! Just, about the first one, then isn't there any one-word adjective (without 'credit') describing such a person? I thought the word 'credit' might not be that commonly used in every-day English, among close friends or so.

Thank you so much for the reply! :)

"Creditworthy", but I've not heard this used regularly in everyday AmE, only by credit companies. We tend to just say the whole sentence 'I have perfect/good/bad credit.' or even 'I have a perfect/good/bad credit history.' These two ways are extremely common to hear and say.

(not a teacher, just a language lover)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In BrE, we say that someone has a "good/bad credit rating" or that they are a "good/bad credit risk". I don't know of a phrase that doesn't include the word "credit".

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Thanks to you both! So helpful!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'd just like to add that actually "good/poor" is more common than "good/bad" in BrE. I thought it sounded a bit wrong when I typed it but I couldn't work out why.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Informally, not talking about credit ratings (just saying 's/he'll pay something back), we say 'good for': 'He's good for the loan'.

b

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Informally, not talking about credit ratings (just saying 's/he'll pay something back), we say 'good for': 'He's good for the loan'.

b

Hey Bob, lend me a tenner. You know I'm good for it. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.