• Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Default please check my toefl essay and give me advice, thanks

Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? Reading fiction (such as novels and short stories) is more enjoyable than watching movies. Use specific reasons and examples to explain your position.
    With the improvement of living conditions, movies and fictions both have become an indispensable part of daily life for an increasing number of people. And this question highlights the moral dilemma that many people are facing nowadays. Some people claim that reading fiction is more enjoyable than watching movies, while others consider that instead of fictions watching movie is wisdom way for enjoyment. From my perspective, the latter is more reasonable.
    There are substantial reasons which I will try to emphasize. The first one I want to put forward is that movies help families and friends become much closer. If family members or friends watch movies together, they laugh together and share happiness. People can also talk about the jokes or imitate the characters in the movie to their friends to make them laugh. Life abounds with such example, my friend, Tina, who is crazy out imitating funny characters from movies. In our spare time, she often visits my home and gives me a fascinating performance. I usually couldn't help myself not to laugh at that time, which is helpful for us to strengthen our relationship. Therefore, we can obvious to see that it is movies that enable us feel much closer between family members or friends.
    Another reason I cannot ignore is that watching movies can help us get better understanding of our life with its sound and visual effects. Take Shawshank Redemption as an example, this movie enables me to deepen the understanding of freedom. In an institutionalized society, some freedom is prepared only for people with special ability like the leading role in the film--Andy. However, for the weak people like old Brooks, who has stayed in prison for many years, freedom outside means nothing but loneliness. In other words, he couldn't accustom to living in the outside anymore and he even wants to steal things from store to get back to prison. From this film, I realize that freedom is more complex than I thought.
    Nevertheless, every coin has two sides. Granted watching movies can lead to much enjoyment, but no one can deny that reading fictions can make us get into rapture more or less. Reading fictions can keep me company. In the past three months, whenever I waited in line to buy something or took the bus to school, I read a fiction. In my opinion, fictions can keep me occupied.
    With all the reasons I explained above, it is apparent to draw the conclusion that it is more essential for us to watch movies for getting enjoyment. That is to say that watching movies not only can shorten the distances between each other, but also we enable to learn some meaningful things.
    Last edited by jessie_0217; 14-May-2012 at 16:06.