• Home Country:
      • Europe
      • Current Location:
      • Europe
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I wish to express my concerns.

Hello people!

I have an English grammar question!

My friend's daughter was told by a college teacher that "I wish to express my concerns." is not a sentence; that these words must be followed in the same sentence by the reason ie ..about the condition of the on-call room". Her daughter was trying to help another student, who had been told to compose a letter of complaint.

Whilst I'm aware that the most common formula would be a long sentence containing both the concern and the reason for concern, I felt sure that "I wish to express my concerns" alone is a good sentence, in the same way as "I wish to make a complaint". It would then be followed by a new sentence describing the problem or cause for concern. ie

I wish to express my concerns. For the past 2 weeks the on-call room has been left in a lamentable condition. In addition to this, certain people have not been considerate about noise levels.
    The sentence as such is not really the issue here, rather the teacher's attitude in that she didn't give any explanation but just said "I'm the teacher" (ie I'm always right!!! )

I mean, I agree with this , after all we teachers are always right , but this teacher might be the exception to the rule

Seriously, I really want to check this now.

Come on, clever people! If it isn't a stand-alone sentence, can you explain why please?

Finicky is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Hungarian
      • Home Country:
      • Hungary
      • Current Location:
      • Hungary
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: I wish to express my concerns.

Quote Originally Posted by heidita View Post
    "I wish to express my concerns." is not a sentence ... these words must may be followed...

bhaisahab is online now Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: I wish to express my concerns.

Quote Originally Posted by heidita View Post
    Hello people!

I have an English grammar question!

My friend's daughter was told by a college teacher that "I wish to express my concerns." is not a sentence; that these words must be followed in the same sentence by the reason ie ..about the condition of the on-call room". Her daughter was trying to help another student, who had been told to compose a letter of complaint.

Whilst I'm aware that the most common formula would be a long sentence containing both the concern and the reason for concern, I felt sure that "I wish to express my concerns" alone is a good sentence, in the same way as "I wish to make a complaint". It would then be followed by a new sentence describing the problem or cause for concern. ie

The sentence as such is not really the issue here, rather the teacher's attitude in that she didn't give any explanation but just said "I'm the teacher" (ie I'm always right!!! )

I mean, I agree with this , after all we teachers are always right , but this teacher might be the exception to the rule

Seriously, I really want to check this now.

Come on, clever people! If it isn't a stand-alone sentence, can you explain why please?
    The teacher is mistaken, it is a stand-alone sentence.