[Grammar] I wish to express my concerns.

Status
Not open for further replies.

heidita

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Europe
Current Location
Europe
Hello people!

I have an English grammar question!

My friend's daughter was told by a college teacher that "I wish to express my concerns." is not a sentence; that these words must be followed in the same sentence by the reason ie ¨..about the condition of the on-call room". Her daughter was trying to help another student, who had been told to compose a letter of complaint.

Whilst I'm aware that the most common formula would be a long sentence containing both the concern and the reason for concern, I felt sure that "I wish to express my concerns" alone is a good sentence, in the same way as "I wish to make a complaint". It would then be followed by a new sentence describing the problem or cause for concern. ie

I wish to express my concerns. For the past 2 weeks the on-call room has been left in a lamentable condition. In addition to this, certain people have not been considerate about noise levels.

The sentence as such is not really the issue here, rather the teacher's attitude in that she didn't give any explanation but just said "I'm the teacher" (ie I'm always right!!! )

I mean, I agree with this ;-) , after all we teachers are always right :angel:, but this teacher might be the exception to the rule :2gunfire:

Seriously, I really want to check this now.

Come on, clever people! If it isn't a stand-alone sentence, can you explain why please?

Finicky

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary
"I wish to express my concerns." is [STRIKE]not[/STRIKE] a sentence ... these words [STRIKE]must[/STRIKE] may be followed...

:up:

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Hello people!

I have an English grammar question!

My friend's daughter was told by a college teacher that "I wish to express my concerns." is not a sentence; that these words must be followed in the same sentence by the reason ie ¨..about the condition of the on-call room". Her daughter was trying to help another student, who had been told to compose a letter of complaint.

Whilst I'm aware that the most common formula would be a long sentence containing both the concern and the reason for concern, I felt sure that "I wish to express my concerns" alone is a good sentence, in the same way as "I wish to make a complaint". It would then be followed by a new sentence describing the problem or cause for concern. ie

The sentence as such is not really the issue here, rather the teacher's attitude in that she didn't give any explanation but just said "I'm the teacher" (ie I'm always right!!! )

I mean, I agree with this ;-) , after all we teachers are always right :angel:, but this teacher might be the exception to the rule :2gunfire:

Seriously, I really want to check this now.

Come on, clever people! If it isn't a stand-alone sentence, can you explain why please?

The teacher is mistaken, it is a stand-alone sentence.

Status
Not open for further replies.