• English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran
    Post Thanks / Like

I spend one out of three that money on my family.

Hi
    Recently I came across this sentence in one of my students' writings. The whole sentence was this "If I won a jackpot, I'd spend one out of three that money on my family". I corrected it like this "If......,I'd spend one third of that on my family", or "If I.....,I'd spend one out of three parts.....".
    However she couldn't accept. She insisted on her sentence and her justification was that how it's possible to say "One out of three winners...." but we can't say "one out of three that money". I was really confused and had no exact or grammar reason to justify the reason,although I know her sentence wasn't right. When I thought twice I came up with the following reason that I've made it up. Please correct me if I'm not right.
    Money is uncountable so we can't use this structure "one out of .../three out of..." for uncountable nouns. So we can't say two out of three water. We should say two out of three glasses of water. I mean we have to make some quantifiers to make the uncountable nouns countable.
    Thanks a lot.

Barb_D is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: I spend one out of three that money on my family.

That's right. Your use of "water" is a good analogy.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

bhaisahab is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: I spend one out of three that money on my family.

Quote Originally Posted by moonlike View Post
    Hi
    Recently I came across this sentence in one of my students' writings. The whole sentence was this "If I won a jackpot, I'd spend one out of three that money on my family". I corrected it like this "If......,I'd spend one third of that on my family", or "If I.....,I'd spend one out of three parts.....".
    However she couldn't accept. She insisted on her sentence and her justification was that how it's possible to say "One out of three winners...." but we can't say "one out of three that money". I was really confused and had no exact or grammar reason to justify the reason,although I know her sentence wasn't right. When I thought twice I came up with the following reason that I've made it up. Please correct me if I'm not right.
    Money is uncountable so we can't use this structure "one out of .../three out of..." for uncountable nouns. So we can't say two out of three water. We should say two out of three glasses of water. I mean we have to make some quantifiers to make the uncountable nouns countable.
    Thanks a lot.
    Yes, I think that's a good enough explanation.