What does "slip away" mean in this sentence?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eggcracker

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
South Korea
I had seen sentences include "slip through" before I saw "slip away". So I can understand the sentences with "slip through". But I don't know the exact use of "slip", and I can't find proper explanation about "slip away" in the dictionary. The sentence confusing me is like this,"No longer these protohorses could slip away through thick forest when danger threatened." Give me some explanations about meaning of "slip away" above the sentence.
And I tried just two sentences to understand the "slip away" and "slip through".
Check these sentences below whether it's correct.
A.Sand particles slipped through my fingers.
B.Sand particles slipped away my fingers.
C.It keep slipping through my fingers.

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
"No longer could these protohorses [STRIKE]could[/STRIKE] slip away through thick forest when danger threatened." Give me some explanations about the meaning of "slip away" in above the sentence.
Here, "slip away" means to leave or disappear from a place, usually quickly and without attracting attention.
For example: "I wasn't enjoying the party so I decided to slip away out the back door and go home".

If you think about how grains of sand can slip quickly and silently through your fingers, then you can understand how the protohorses might have slipped away through the forest in a similar manner.

And I tried just two sentences to understand the "slip away" and "slip through".
Check these sentences below whether it's correct.

A. Sand particles slipped through my fingers. (OK)
B. Sand particles slipped away through/from my fingers.
C. It keeps slipping through my fingers.

not a teacher

eggcracker

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
South Korea
B. Sand particles slipped awaythrough/from my fingers
Does OK mean the sentence is suit to colloquial English? Or does it mean it's usually used?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
B. Sand particles slipped awaythrough/from my fingers
Does OK mean the sentence is suit to colloquial English? Or does it mean it's usually used?

It means it's normal usage.

Status
Not open for further replies.