What is the Best way to improve your Language?

Status
Not open for further replies.

khalidtalk

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
Greeting all,

What is the Best way to improve your Language?

This is my belief that if you want to improve your skills in any language you need speak more than chatting, you can also learn cultures conversations skills.

Chicken Sandwich

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
Greeting all,

[STRIKE]This [/STRIKE] It is my belief that if you want to improve your skills in any language you need speak more than chatting, you can also learn cultures conversations skills.

What do you mean by, "you need speak more than chatting"?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
[STRIKE]Greeting all,[/STRIKE] Hello everyone

What is the best way to improve your language skills?

[STRIKE]This[/STRIKE] It is my belief that if you want to improve your skills in any language you need to practice formal speaking (more than just chatting). You can also learn other cultures' conversational skills.

I wasn't quite sure what you meant but some of your final paragraph so I have guessed at the meaning and made the appropriate corrections. If it's not what you wanted to say, then I'm sorry.

In answer to your basic question, using the language is the best way to practice. Anyone can learn it from a book but it is only when you take part in a conversation (preferably with a native speaker) that you really get to practice and discover what you have actually learnt.

Listen to English language radio, watch English language TV and films to get a good grip on the rhythm and cadence of the language. Don't expect to understand every single word and remember that a lot of what you will hear will be slang and colloquialism. Most of what you hear will be generally grammatically correct. If you hear "I did really well" 9 times and "I done really good" once, then use your initiative to work out that "I did really well" is probably correct and the other form probably isn't.

I would recommend finding a native speaker to meet with a couple of times a week for conversation classes. You will have to pay but it will be worth it. They're best if they're unstructured and it's not like a classroom lesson. Just chat about anything and everything and ask the native speaker to speak as if they are speaking to another native speaker. You will be amazed what you pick up.

This should be done in conjunction with more formal study, of course, as well as using this forum for specific language questions.

a_vee

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Costa Rica
"Chatting" has its benefits, and there is no substitute for speaking practice.

Listening is also great.

khalidtalk

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
Thanks you all and special thanks to mrs emsr2d2, I am absolutely agreed with you and I do understand moreover I am looking for special persons a native speaker to help me to improve my language, if you could guide me or advise me I would appreciate you support.

CarloSsS

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Thank[STRIKE]s[/STRIKE] you all and special thanks to Mrs. emsr2d2. I [STRIKE]am [/STRIKE]absolutely agree[STRIKE]d[/STRIKE] with you and I do understand. Moreover, I am looking for [STRIKE]special persons[/STRIKE] a native speaker to help me to improve my language. If you could guide me or advise me I would appreciate you support.

Please, would you be so kind and use capitalization and punctuation properly? Without it, your post are quite difficult to read and, consequently, difficult to understand. See my corrections above.

khalidtalk

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
Thanks for your comments and, I will try my best to follow your advice as I can.
Carlos, nice to meet you here, the way you speak and writing to me I thought your English is your native language.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Carlos, nice to meet you here, the way you speak and writing to me I thought your English is your native language.

I don't know his language background except what's on his profile, but he is at native speaker level- apart from his punctuation, which is better than most native speakers. ;-)

khalidtalk

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
Thanks for clarification.:up:

CarloSsS

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Thanks for your comments and, I will try my best to follow your advice as I can.

Thank you, that always makes me feel better. On the contrary, do not be fooled by the little of my English that you read. I am nowhere near as good as a native, but it always brings joy to my heart when somebody thinks so.

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
TV shows. Watch them and then discuss them.

Its great to follow course books too (then you get acquainted with the grammar and a good range of vocab), but TV shows (listening) and discussion (speaking) are by far the quickest ways to learn any language.

Check out my website for lots of free TV show lessons, if you'd like to try this method

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
TV shows. Watch them and then discuss them.

Its great to follow course books too (then you get acquainted with the grammar and a good range of vocab), but TV shows (listening) and discussion (speaking) are by far the quickest ways to learn any language.

Check out my website for lots of free TV show lessons, if you'd like to try this method

These will be interesting for students who want to teach themselves English, or for busy TEFL teachers who want their students to do some high quality listening homework. TV show lessons based on IT Crowd, The Office (BBC), The Simpsons, Blackadder, Sherlock Holmes, and many more......I will be adding some new ones over summer

English Video Lessons - Skype Lessons

skypelessons's Lensmaster Page

Hope you like them!

Happy teaching/learning :-D

maryam1234567maryam

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Kazakh
Home Country
Kazakhstan
Current Location
Kazakhstan
:roll:good day for everyone! i think,the best way to improve our language skills is using english everywhere

maryam1234567maryam

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Kazakh
Home Country
Kazakhstan
Current Location
Kazakhstan
By the way,you can try to use lessons of Aj.Hoge...I recommend him:)..Cause I think that i improved my language abilities with his lessons.I'm sure that you will appreciate to me for my recommendation;-)

Bankbuddy

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I am learning Spanish. For me, chatting (in another language) is easier than having a substantive conversation because I do not have to be precise, I can speak in idioms (memorized), and I can laugh instead of speaking clearly.

MarieTyler

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello friends,

Read, read and read some more. Read foreign language newspapers and magazines online or buy them at your local newsstand. Buy practice workbooks, dictionaries and books—sometimes children's books are great for beginners. Read as much as you can to familiarize yourself with the language and improve your comprehension skills.

Thanks a lot
Marie Tyler

Status
Not open for further replies.