Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. learning54's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

    • Join Date: Oct 2011
    • Posts: 1,125
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    Are they correct? She works / types on a computer. She works with a computer.

    Hi teachers,
    Acording to the question, I guess, answers 'a' and 'b' are suitable, but how about 'c'? Is it also suitable? If not, could you tell me why?
    What does she usually do at work?
    a) She usually works on a computer.
    b) She usually types on a computer.
    c) She usually works with a computer.

    Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by learning54; 22-May-2012 at 18:19.

  2. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 23,083
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: Are they correct? She works / types on a computer. She works with a computer.

    Quote Originally Posted by learning54 View Post
    Hi teachers,
    Acording to the question, I guess, answers 'a' and 'b' are suitable, but how about 'c'? Is it also suitable? If not, could you tell me why?
    What does she usually do at work?
    a) She usually works on a computer.
    b) She usually types on a computer.
    c) She usually works with a computer.

    Thanks in advance.
    None of them is natural.

  3. learning54's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

    • Join Date: Oct 2011
    • Posts: 1,125
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: Are they correct? She works / types on a computer. She works with a computer.

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    None of them is natural.
    Hi,
    Thank you for your reply.
    If none of them is natural, could you tell me which one/ones are natural when a person works on a computer in an office?
    Will it be, 'She usually uses a computer''?
    Last edited by learning54; 22-May-2012 at 20:11.

  4. CarloSsS's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Czech
      • Home Country:
      • Czech Republic
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Aug 2010
    • Posts: 629
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: Are they correct? She works / types on a computer. She works with a computer.

    NOT A TEACHER

    As far as the phrase "type on a computer" is concerned, I found 8 examples of its usage in COCA, and one entry in my bilingual dictionary. I know that the phrase "write on a computer" is much more common, but according to the resources I mentioned, it should be OK too. Maybe it's the word "usually" that makes it unnatural, but if the sentence was more complex, I can imagine that it would work with usually too.

  5. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 23,083
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: Are they correct? She works / types on a computer. She works with a computer.

    Quote Originally Posted by learning54 View Post
    Hi,
    Thank you for your reply.
    If none of them is natural, could you tell me which one/ones are natural when a person works on a computer in an office?
    Will it be, 'She usually uses a computer''?
    What is the question supposed to be, are you asking what her job is?

  6. learning54's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

    • Join Date: Oct 2011
    • Posts: 1,125
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Re: Are they correct? She works / types on a computer. She works with a computer.

    Hi Carlo,
    Thank you for your reply.

  7. learning54's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

    • Join Date: Oct 2011
    • Posts: 1,125
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #7

    Re: Are they correct? She works / types on a computer. She works with a computer.

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    What is the question supposed to be, are you asking what her job is?
    The question and the answer are based on a picture with a woman working in an office. The woman has her hands typing on a keyboard, and the words given are:
    What / she / at work? (computer)
    The exercise asks you to use the words given to make questions and answers about their actions in simple present, there are other pictures with other actions. It also asks you to use a frequency adverb in the question and answer.

  8. CarloSsS's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Czech
      • Home Country:
      • Czech Republic
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Aug 2010
    • Posts: 629
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #8

    Re: Are they correct? She works / types on a computer. She works with a computer.

    NOT A TEACHER

    In that case, I'd say:

    What does she usually do at work? She often uses a computer.
    Please note that I'm not a teacher.

  9. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 23,083
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #9

    Re: Are they correct? She works / types on a computer. She works with a computer.

    Quote Originally Posted by learning54 View Post
    The question and the answer are based on a picture with a woman working in an office. The woman has her hands typing on a keyboard, and the words given are:
    What / she / at work? (computer)
    The exercise asks you to use the words given to make questions and answers about their actions in simple present, there are other pictures with other actions. It also asks you to use a frequency adverb in the question and answer.
    "What does she usually do at work?" "She usually works on a computer."

Similar Threads

  1. computer science or computer sciences
    By ostap77 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-Mar-2011, 01:05
  2. inside a computer or in a computer
    By Shenfeng in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-Apr-2010, 01:31
  3. computer nerd/ computer geek
    By Jaskin in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-Nov-2008, 16:07
  4. Works
    By maonshancsho in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 14-Oct-2008, 11:25
  5. play computer or on the computer
    By stephanieamiot in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 21-Mar-2008, 00:23

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •