Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi,
I came across a sentence and I was confused on its structure, did it omit some parts. Please help me to explain the structure. Thank you.
I tried to pursade him but in vain.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
When you do something "in vain" it means that it didn't work -- whatever good result you'd hoped for, it did not happen.
In this case, the author was not able to persuade him.

Mark_000

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thank you.;-)
In that sentence, "but" was a conjunction, why it did not follow by a clause? The structure in that part was conjunction+ preposition phrase(functioned as an adverb), right? Did it comply with the grammar? Did the sentence omit some words? Maybe the sentence should be " I tried to persuade him but [STRIKE][/STRIKE]the result was[STRIKE][/STRIKE] in vain.", am I right?
If so, could you please give me few others examples with this structure?(Use other words or phrases rather than "in vain")

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Thank you.;-)
In that sentence, "but" was a conjunction, why [STRIKE]it did not[/STRIKE] wasn't it followed by a clause?
There is no rule that conjunctions have to be followed by clauses.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you.;-)
In that sentence, "but" was a conjunction, why it did not follow by a clause? The structure in that part was conjunction+ preposition phrase(functioned as an adverb), right? Did it comply with the grammar? Did the sentence omit some words? Maybe the sentence should be " I tried to persuade him but [STRIKE][/STRIKE]the result was[STRIKE][/STRIKE] in vain.", am I right?
If so, could you please give me few others examples with this structure?(Use other words or phrases rather than "in vain")
:down: The phrase 'in vain' is adverbial, and modifies the verb. Saying 'The result was in vain' makes no sense. There is also a one-word adverb: He tried vainly to persuade him. (This has nothing to do with someone looking vainly in a mirror - the attempt there is successful; it just shows vanity. ;-))

There is a related adjective - 'vain' - which qualifies the attempt: He tried to persuade him but the attempt was vain

There are several other words you can use: 'without success'/'but he had no luck'/'unsuccessfully'/.... . You may meet the archaic word 'bootlessly' in an old text. An informal way of referring to lack of success is 'he had no joy' - 'I'm been trying to track him down for weeks, but I've had no joy'.

b

Status
Not open for further replies.