Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
I've been reading a book where I came across the following sentence "I see you're working your shitkicker routine overtime. Sorry but we've got to talk." Does it mean here very boring,unsophisticated routine?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I've been reading a book where I came across the following sentence "I see you're working your shitkicker routine overtime. Sorry but we've got to talk." Does it mean here very boring,unsophisticated routine?

I've never come across it.

riquecohen

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil
There are a couple of definitions for this vulgar word. It is sometimes used to describe a boorish person or sometimes an unsophisticated, country person. It is also used to describe an aficionado of country music. In the context provided, it probably means that the 'routine' being practiced is country music.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Some sort of country music dance would be my guess. (The implication is that your boots are all covered from the day's work and when you dance energetically you kick the stuff off of them.)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
There are a couple of definitions for this vulgar word. It is sometimes used to describe a boorish person or sometimes an unsophisticated, country person. It is also used to describe an aficionado of country music. In the context provided, it probably means that the 'routine' being practiced is country music.

I've never heard it either. May I ask, riquecohen, what it was about those two sentences which made you think they were talking about country music? Was it just that the word "routine" can mean "performance"?

riquecohen

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil
I've never heard it either. May I ask, riquecohen, what it was about those two sentences which made you think they were talking about country music? Was it just that the word "routine" can mean "performance"?

That's right. Soothing Dave's interpretation might be even better, as the word can refer to boots as well as to country music.

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
It's from a science fiction book by Larry Niven and Steven Barnes "THe California Voodoo Game". There's no sigh of it beind related to country music.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Then it likely means that he has been "stirring up trouble" or "kicking up s#$@" for other people in the office. The very opposite of being boring.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Now that I've read though this thread, I am reminded that the word is often used in reference to boots. Still the passage is not very clear to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.