English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Hi teachers,
If I have a picture of an animal or a thing and I want the students to write this kind of question:

a) What is this? It is a cat.
Is it correct to ask them, 'Determine the name of the animal'?

b) What is this? It is a pen.
Is it correct to ask them, 'Determine the name of the object/thing'?

I have these questions among others.

Thanks in advance.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
If they are at the stage of writing 'What is this? It is pen', I think that 'Determine the name of the object' is rather advanced.

Why not just start the exercise with an example?

learning54

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Hi,
Thank you for your reply.
Then, I'll write, 'Look at the drawings and complete the questions and answers. But first read the example.'
What do you think?
Though in Spanish it is not that difficult. It is, 'Determina el nombre del objeto/animal'.

L

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi,
Then, I'll write, 'Look at the drawings and complete the questions and answers. But first read the example.'
What do you think?
Though in Spanish it is not that difficult. It is, 'Determina el nombre del objeto/animal'.

L

Do you write the directions for your exercises in Spanish? If that's the case, then they will, of course, understand it. You say it's not that complicated in Spanish but when I was a real beginner learning Spanish and my level had only reached "Que es? Es un gatto", I would certainly have found "Determina el nombre del objecto/animal?" complicated. (I would have worked it out because of my knowledge of other European languages but if you assume no helpful knowledge, then that is quite an advanced sentence for someone who is only up to "What is this? It's a cat.")

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
What do you think?
It's OK. I'd just write:

Exercise 1: example: What is this? It is a cat.

1. (picture of cat.
2. (picture of dog)
etc

learning54

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Do you write the directions for your exercises in Spanish?
Hi,
No! Not al all! I'm very much against translation. I may have expressed myself badly. What I wanted to say is that it is not so difficult for them to understand those directions, just because those words are very similar to the Spanish language.

Besides it, I've already try those directions with my beginner students. My question was based just on, if they were right. Why? Because today I thought, with this directions 'determine the name of the animal'. Could they think if its name is 'Jerry', or 'Tom'? I mean could they answer like that?

L

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
That is a fair point. I have found, over the years, that many people simply don't recognise the similarity between a foreign language and their own. In their head "it's a foreign word" and I think they panic a little!

Status
Not open for further replies.