• Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Need help understanding a sentence from the book: A Clockwork Orange.

Hi! I'm reading this book trying to improve my comprehension in english but now, there's a sentence in it that I'm not quite sure what it's trying to say. Here it goes: [...So I yelped: 'Out out out!' like a doggie, and then I cracked this veck who was sitting next to me and well away and burbling a horrorshow crack on the ooko or earhole, but he didn't feel it and went on with his "Telephonic hardware and when the farfarculule gets rubadubdub'.]

Veck means guy in nadsat dictionary
    Horrorshow means good
    Ooko means ear

The context is a guy next to him is high and he speak nonsense.

Did he hitted him twice? And the part saying: "burbling a good crack on the ear" from my understanding burbling's synonym is murmur. How can he murmur a hit? And when they say he crack the guy or his ear, did they mean that he broked something?

Thanks!

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Need help understanding a sentence from the book: A Clockwork Orange.

He hit him once as they left.

Is Clockwork Orange, which uses a made-up slang, going to help your comprehension much? It may help you talk to fans of the book, but outside the readership, few would understand much of it. Knowing what He looked a malenky bit poogly means won't help much in everyday language use.

Sinnobite is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Need help understanding a sentence from the book: A Clockwork Orange.

Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    He hit him once as they left.

Is Clockwork Orange, which uses a made-up slang, going to help your comprehension much? It may help you talk to fans of the book, but outside the readership, few would understand much of it. Knowing what He looked a malenky bit poogly means won't help much in everyday language use.

Thanks for replying!
    I see your point and you're right. The thing is that I want to read the book also. So far the fact that he use made-up russian/english slang is not really that challenging for me except that I need to research a little bit here and there to understand the words. Just need to get the context out of it, really.

When he says "burbling a good crack on the ear" does he mean like since you speak nonsense then 'nonsense this' and he hit him? Because burbling a physical hit from my understanding, it doesn't add up together.

Thanks for the help! Really appreciate it.