[General] Need help understanding a sentence from the book: A Clockwork Orange.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sinnobite

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
French
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Hi! I'm reading this book trying to improve my comprehension in english but now, there's a sentence in it that I'm not quite sure what it's trying to say. Here it goes: [...So I yelped: 'Out out out!' like a doggie, and then I cracked this veck who was sitting next to me and well away and burbling a horrorshow crack on the ooko or earhole, but he didn't feel it and went on with his "Telephonic hardware and when the farfarculule gets rubadubdub'.]

Veck means guy in nadsat dictionary
Horrorshow means good
Ooko means ear

The context is a guy next to him is high and he speak nonsense.

Did he hitted him twice? And the part saying: "burbling a good crack on the ear" from my understanding burbling's synonym is murmur. How can he murmur a hit? And when they say he crack the guy or his ear, did they mean that he broked something?

Thanks!

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
He hit him once as they left.

Is Clockwork Orange, which uses a made-up slang, going to help your comprehension much? It may help you talk to fans of the book, but outside the readership, few would understand much of it. Knowing what He looked a malenky bit poogly means won't help much in everyday language use. ;-)

Sinnobite

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
French
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
He hit him once as they left.

Is Clockwork Orange, which uses a made-up slang, going to help your comprehension much? It may help you talk to fans of the book, but outside the readership, few would understand much of it. Knowing what He looked a malenky bit poogly means won't help much in everyday language use. ;-)

Thanks for replying!
I see your point and you're right. The thing is that I want to read the book also. So far the fact that he use made-up russian/english slang is not really that challenging for me except that I need to research a little bit here and there to understand the words. Just need to get the context out of it, really.

When he says "burbling a good crack on the ear" does he mean like since you speak nonsense then 'nonsense this' and he hit him? Because burbling a physical hit from my understanding, it doesn't add up together.

Thanks for the help! Really appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.