Need help on an essay. Final Reflection about my writing. Help revise or advive

Status
Not open for further replies.

jenniejen

:) (I have to write a final reflection about my writing for my finals. How is this? How does it sound? Help me revise and as many idears as I can get idears are welcome.)
(Please any comment or advice or idears are welcome here....)

Final Reflection

I feel my writing has improved during this semester because of all the different types of essays I experimented with. I wrote five essays during the past four or five months which were all very challenging. The five different types of essays I had to write was a Narrative, Descriptive, Compare/Contrast, Persuasion/Argumentation, and a Process Paper. Of these five essays I feel I had some very interesting stories. I feel I always wrote the best when I would write about my life or past experiences. It seems to
me that when I first started to learn to write it was not fun at all because of the little experience I had with writing. I believe that since I had these five different types of essays to learn I am on my way to a easier way at approaching them next time.

For my very first essay, I had to write a Narrative CD project. My professor asked me to write about something I learned from. I struggled for almost a whole day and night just trying to figure out a topic. Finally, I came up with a story called Stop Drugs, Alcohol, and Abuse. This essay was mostly about my father who was a drug addict, alcoholic, and abuser. When I wrote this story I had to go back in time and remember a horrible childhood experience. Writing this type of essay was difficult because it was embarrassing and emotional. I also was nervous to hand in this essay because I really did not want to be judged or looked down on because of this outrageous topic.

In the same way as my first essay, I also had a difficult time thinking of a topic to write about for my second essay. My professor asked me to write a descriptive essay. This was my first time ever writing a descriptive essay. First off, I could not even think about what I was going to write about until almost the last minute. My mind went blank, and I just could not think. I finally decided to write about the three dogs at my patient’s house where I go to work every morning. I really do like these dogs at work, but when I
wrote my essay I wrote about them as being annoying and I hated them. Basically, my descriptive essay was mostly false. There had to be a lot of descriptive telling in this essay, and this is why I feel writing it was very difficult. I made up many details of description just to add to my story so the story can sound okay. I feel if I had more time to go over my essay and revise, I probably would have had a better grade. I feel I have some kind of writer’s block that does not allow me to think of ideas fast enough.

I feel I had a difficult time writing the Compare/Contrast essay because it was much harder than the one I wrote before in my English 043 class. In English 043 I only had to compare or contrast anything I chose. In my English 043 class I chose to compare apples and oranges, and this essay seemed easier to write because in English 101 I had to do both Compare/Contrast at the same time. In my English 101 class I chose to Compare/Contrast two emotions, Love and Hate which was very difficult. I wanted to
write about these two emotions since English 043, but it was difficult then. When my professor gave me an assignment to Compare/Contrast I decided to go back and take the challenge of comparing and contrasting Love and Hate.

The paper I had the easiest time with was my fourth essay. My professor asked me to write a Process Paper. I was having a hard time deciding what to write about like my other essays, but finally the idea came to my head more quickly than the other three essays. I decided to give directions on how to get a really clean kitchen floor. This idea came to my head because I do this task of washing the floor two times a week a work,
and also at my own place of residence a few times a week. As I was getting started, I just sat at my computer and typed free hand thinking over very carefully step by step how I wash the floors. I think I revised this essay one or two times before I actually handed the paper in. I felt I would get a better grade than what I received on my paper, but now I know next time to double and triple check for spelling errors.

Finally, my professor asked me to write my last essay which was a
Persuasion/Argumentation essay. I really enjoyed writing this essay because I wrote about the professional Nursing field which I am moving forward in through schooling. I really want to help people in life physically, emotionally, and mentally, because of the many things I have witnessed from Nurses and Nurses Aids. I decided to argue a case for the elderly for future practice. I feel this Persuasion/Argumentation essay will help me for future persuasion or arguments I will have to make in my future career.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
four or five months which were all- if you only wroite five in total, there should be a comma before 'which'
Of these five essays I feel I had some very interesting stories.- this needs rewriting- not all of these essays would have had stories, also you repeat 'I feel' in the next sentence
to learn I am - comma
my father who- my father, who
was nervous to hand- nervous about handing
outrageous topic- I'd change the adjective- controversial/difficult etc
descriptive telling - description??
so the story can sound- could ( or just 'sounded)
Hate which was very difficult- Hate, which
I wanted- had wanted
last essay which- ,which

PS There are few occasions where I have made a comment about a comma or not before 'which'. If you're not sure whether to put a comma, try this- can you cut the phrase with 'which' out and still have a complete sentence that makes sense. If you can, put a comma in.
;-)

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
You're welcome. ;-)

Status