Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Does the 'chat monitors' in the paragraph below refer to 'people' or software or both that monitor the online chat rooms' so that they are clean and safe and friendly? Many thanks in advance.

KidFu (www.kidfu.com) says “it is the safest place online for kids to chat, play games and make friends. ” Get your parents to help you register and then you can write things about yourself or read what other kids have written. There are also “chat monitors” that make sure that the online chat rooms are safe and friendly. KidFu costs money, but the first month is free.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I would think it means people rather than software who monitor chat.

Rover

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I was a chat room moderator for years. It's even more thankless than moderating forums. I imagine you could have bots that automatically kick out users who use profanity or ask questions that contain banned words/phrases, but we used people.

david11

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I was a chat room moderator for years.

Does chat room moderator mean that a person who monitors chat between two people?

I thought chats are private conversation and no will know what we chat.

CarloSsS

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Does chat room moderator mean that a person who monitors chat between two people? Moderators usually moderate only public chat.

I thought chats are private conversation and no will know what we chat.
Private chats usually are meant to be private. At least that is what the common understanding is. However, some servers that host chat applications have in their terms of use that conversations can be recorded and are the property of the chat service provider. Even if it was not in the terms of use, no one can know whether or not they keep records of private conversations and what they do with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.