Recommended book of Grammar Worksheets for adults?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HelenLayley

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Sweden
Hello!
I work mainly with children and feel that one of the weaker areas of my teaching to adults is Grammar ... I have some lovely grammar exercises for children, a whole series of books with stone-age man cartoons dancing all over them, but that's not really appropriate for a medical biologist with a PhD!

I have a Grammar text book that has a lot of exercises in it, but these are very repetitive and in small dense type ...

I'm looking for something more like a lesson handout, individual ones for individual topics, with an overview, explanation, list of exceptions (of course) and a few exercises to try ...

I would also really appreciate an overview of what topics of grammar a beginner adult learner can benefit from addressing, and which topics (perhaps 'Phrasal Verbs') might come along a little later ... Does anyone have a plan of which topics to address first and which later, a progression or 'course outline' for the teaching of grammar to adults? I feel I am cherry-picking somewhat as I address the issues that are presenting themselves in my learner's reading ...

Many thanks,
Helen

Last edited:

Esredux

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hello!
I work mainly with children and feel that one of the weaker areas of my teaching to adults is Grammar ... I have some lovely grammar exercises for children, a whole series of books with stone-age man cartoons dancing all over them, but that's not really appropriate for a medical biologist with a PhD!

I have a Grammar text book that has a lot of exercises in it, but these are very repetitive and in small dense type ...

'Fun with Grammar', as well as other Azar's books can help you vary the pace and the activities

I'm looking for something more like a lesson handout, individual ones for individual topics, with an overview, explanation, list of exceptions (of course) and a few exercises to try ...

I don't know anything more helpful and teacher-friendly than traditional Murphy: Elementary, Intermediate, Advanced, Supplementary. However, if you are looking for handouts I'd go for this particular site.

I would also really appreciate an overview of what topics of grammar a beginner adult learner can benefit from addressing, and which topics (perhaps 'Phrasal Verbs') might come along a little later ... Does anyone have a plan of which topics to address first and which later, a progression or 'course outline' for the teaching of grammar to adults? I feel I am cherry-picking somewhat as I address the issues that are presenting themselves in my learner's reading ...

Many thanks,
Helen

There are definitely much more wonderful resources to deal with Grammar.
So, I am also look forward to other replies.

HelenLayley

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Sweden
Thank you - I'll look into those suggestions.

I was thinking more of a checklist for me, for the grammar overview, so that if there isn't an obvious need I can choose a topic from a list ... rather than flipping through a file of 'useful sheets' and choosing one at random!
I also worry about missing out something obvious - to a native speaker - that my pupils would really benefit from ... (from which my pupils would really benefit ... sometimes the grammar really does slip when I'm not concentrating!)

Helen

moonlike

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hello Helen
Welcome to the forum:hi:
Don't panic. At first when I wanted to teach English to adults I had the same feeling (Oh my goodness! what if they ask me a question and I don't know, what if I goof up;-)). Now after about 11 years of teaching I've learned as far as the students trust you, nothing happens. I mean you have to show them hey we are also human and to err is human as well. However, you should always have something up your sleeves. Something like some nice related vocabulary or idioms. You have to be ready for some unexpected questions, so while you're preparing the lesson plan, you have to consider all the aspects. Try to put yourself in their shoes and expect what may come in class regarding words, idioms, grammar point. Try to have a good command of the lesson. In this case you can help them trust you and when they see you are always ready and prepared they like it and they will for sure don't make a mountain out of a molehill when something slips your mind.:-D
I'm teaching adults as well. I have found them also interested in games as well as excitement in class (of course most of them, to be honest;-)). I agree with Esgaleth, I really adore Ms.Betty Azar's grammar books. Why don't you cherry-pick some course books. You can have a selection of them. Besides you can provide more related exercises along with nice related words. How about some topic-based books, some discussion type of books. You can also work on film as well and do lots of different things with it.
Have a nice day!

Status
Not open for further replies.