[General] Is this correct eloquent English?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
No I don't think you can make any inference at all about her feelings on the two. She simply agrees that that analogy is sound. Rage is a type of comic; rap is a type of music. She may love one and hate the other.

iSergiwa

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Libya
Current Location
Libya
No I don't think you can make any inference at all about her feelings on the two. She simply agrees that that analogy is sound. Rage is a type of comic; rap is a type of music. She may love one and hate the other.

But since she said the analog is sound I assumed she looks at them equally. So if she dislikes Rap, she must dislike Rage as the only one common thing between Rap and Rage (which is the base of my analog she agreed with) is: Both are bad (or both are good). Logically, she can't say the analog is sound if she looks at them differently, she must like them both or dislike them both. How would the analog be sound then if not?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
But since she said the analogy is sound I assumed she looks at them equally. So if she dislikes rap, she must dislike Rage as the only one common thing between rap and Rage (which is the base of my analogy she agreed with) is: Both are bad (or both are good). Logically, she can't say the analogy is sound if she looks at them differently, she must like them both or dislike them both. How would the analogy be sound then if not?

BarbD said "
No I don't think you can make any inference at all about her feelings on the two. She simply agrees that that analogy is sound. Rage is a type of comic; rap is a type of music. She may love one and hate the other."
I too assumed that her daughter meant that "rage" fits with the word "comic" as "rap" fits with "music". Her opinion of either one as bad or good might not fit yours, or she might not have an opinion, but she can surely still state that the analogy (as a grammatical construction) is sound.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Stiletto is to shoe as bowler is to hat.

I agree this is a grammatical and logical analogy.

Can you infer I like both? That I wear both? That either are equally suitable for a racetrack? Ballroom? Woman? Man?

No. A stiletto is a type of shoe. A bowler is a type of hat. End of analogy.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Can I just add that, correct or not, there is certainly nothing "eloquent" about the phrase.

iSergiwa

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Libya
Current Location
Libya
BarbD said "
No I don't think you can make any inference at all about her feelings on the two. She simply agrees that that analogy is sound. Rage is a type of comic; rap is a type of music. She may love one and hate the other."
I too assumed that her daughter meant that "rage" fits with the word "comic" as "rap" fits with "music". Her opinion of either one as bad or good might not fit yours, or she might not have an opinion, but she can surely still state that the analogy (as a grammatical construction) is sound.

First, thank you for correcting my spelling this way, I admire that. Please do that always, thanks.
Second, I think I still need years and years until I can express any deep thoughts in English.

Well, when she said the analogy is sound I thought she means that rap and rage are equally bad. What made me think like that is that I don't think someone even need to think twice to realize that rap is a type of music and rage is a type of comic (unless he is a machine who still is learning the basic concepts), this was obvious, and that's why I thought the analogy was about their being bad or good.

Stiletto is to shoe as bowler is to hat.

I agree this is a grammatical and logical analogy.

Can you infer I like both? That I wear both? That either are equally suitable for a racetrack? Ballroom? Woman? Man?

No. A stiletto is a type of shoe. A bowler is a type of hat. End of analogy.

I see what you are saying here. I have a lot to say but I'm afraid I will say it wrong and this discussion will be endless, so I think I will not fully understand until someone answer my first question:

In once sentence, could you please give me the alternative of the following:

"I believe rap music is not music at all, it's only images and speech, it's a disgrace and makes me sick. Likewise, I believe Rage is not comic, it's only nonprofessional drawings drawn by nonprofessional people, it makes me disgusted when I compare it to Marvel comics. I believe rap did very bad to the music world the same way Rage did very bad to the comic world and I wish they don't exist."

If you understood what I was trying to say in the long speech above, could you put it in one sentence? or is it impossible in English? In Arabic I did it in four words and it was beautiful.

Thank you

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
First, thank you for correcting my spelling this way, I admire that. Please do that always, thanks.
Second, I think I still need years and years until I can express any deep thoughts in English.

Well, when she said the analogy is sound I thought she means that rap and rage are equally bad. What made me think like that is that I don't think someone even need to think twice to realize that rap is a type of music and rage is a type of comic (unless he is a machine who still is learning the basic concepts), this was obvious, and that's why I thought the analogy was about their being bad or good.

I see what you are saying here. I have a lot to say but I'm afraid I will say it wrong and this discussion will be endless, so I think I will not fully understand until someone answer my first question:

In once sentence, could you please give me the alternative of the following:

"I believe rap music is not music at all, it's only images and speech, it's a disgrace and makes me sick. Likewise, I believe Rage is not comic, it's only nonprofessional drawings drawn by nonprofessional people, it makes me disgusted when I compare it to Marvel comics. I believe rap did very bad to the music world the same way Rage did very bad to the comic world and I wish they don't exist."

If you understood what I was trying to say in the long speech above, could you put it in one sentence? or is it impossible in English? In Arabic I did it in four words and it was beautiful.

Thank you

"I hate Rap and Rage."

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
As rap denigrated music, so too is rage denigrating the art form of the comic.

iSergiwa

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Libya
Current Location
Libya
As rap denigrated music, so too is rage denigrating the art form of the comic.

This sounds good. Thank you very much.

Status
Not open for further replies.