Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Hi,

Although both are liquids, milk is considered food, while (natural) juice is not. I know this is not strictly a question relating to English, but rather the work of dieticians. I also know milk contains nutrients which are important for our body, but so does the juice of many fruits.

So... could anyone give me a hint of this different consideration?

Thanks

Greetings,

Charliedeut

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I'd think of them both as food- if something has nutrients, it's food to me. (Not a scientist)

Natalie1991

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Milk is considered a food because it comes from an animal and contains protien, carbohydrates, and fat.

Juice, on the other hand, comes from fruit. Juice has nutrients too, but not all three macronutrients.

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Milk is considered a food because it comes from an animal and contains protien, carbohydrates, and fat.

Juice, on the other hand, comes from fruit. Juice has nutrients too, but not all three macronutrients.

Then you mean that anything not containing all three macronutrients is not considered food?

Chicken Sandwich

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
I'd think of them both as food- if something has nutrients, it's food to me. (Not a scientist)

Exactly. Milk and juice are both food because both can be used for the formation of ATP (adenosine triphosphate). Granted, not many molecules of ATP can be formed from the average quantity of juice that you drink each day, but still, it is nevertheless food.

Last edited:

santimarti

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
I thought that this was going to be easier, it seems that you need a Phd in biology to know the answer.:-D

Interesting answers.

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Hello

Milk is food and juice is fruits.:-D

Sonja

From your statement, it follows you don't consider fruit to be food either. :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.