Student or Learner
Native Language
Thai
Home Country
Thailand
Current Location
Thailand
Hello,

I have heard both. Do they mean the same thing? Does it matter who or what is on the receiving end? "Play fetch" if you play with a dog and "play catch" if you play with kids/human?

Thank you.

Nawee

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You play fetch with a dog.

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
I have heard both. Do they mean the same thing? Does it matter who or what is on the receiving end? "Play fetch" if you play with a dog and "play catch" if you play with kids/human?

To fetch something means to go and get it and bring it back. This is how you might often play with a dog, by throwing a stick or ball and waiting for the dog to fetch it. If it's my dog it will run halfway towards the ball and then sit down, but that's another story.
When two people are throwing a ball back forth to each other, they are playing catch.

not a teacher

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:up: Both exist, but they're different games, whoever's involved. If you 'play catch' you throw something to someone, in the expectation that they will try to catch it. If you 'play fetch' you throw something away from someone or some animal, and expect them to go and get it - wherever it lands.

b

Status
Not open for further replies.