Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Ireland
Current Location
Philippines
Can you please help me im stuck - i understand the difference of irregular verbs and verbs. Seems its basically the ending of the words that are different. What I dont understand is the use, can you use an iregular verb instead of a verb? For example could you use the irregular verb 'gets' in present simple tense headlines instead of a verb ?Im asking this because my response was wrong for a headline and i was informed that i need to use the subject plus the base form verb - is a base form verb an irregular verb too?

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Can you please help me im stuck - i understand the difference of irregular verbs and verbs. Seems its basically the ending of the words that are different. What I dont understand is the use, can you use an iregular verb instead of a verb? For example could you use the irregular verb 'gets' in present simple tense headlines instead of a verb ?Im asking this because my response was wrong for a headline and i was informed that i need to use the subject plus the base form verb - is a base form verb an irregular verb too?

First, it would help if you post the "headline". Second, "gets" is a verb. I don't know what you mean when you say "instead of a verb.

tate&lyle

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Ireland
Current Location
Philippines
ok im just confused - I am thought irregular verbs and verbs are used in a different way - headline is supposed to be in present simple and read ' Supreme Court judge gets convicted ' is that the correct use? I think that it is correct usuage but as I said im confused by regular and irregular verbs. So it would be correct to say that of that headline - Supreme Court judge is the subject - 'gets ' is the base form of the verb for present simple.

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
And please, remember to use apostrophes, capital letters, commas and all the other paraphernalia ;-) It will make your questions and explanations easier to understand. Therefore, you will probably be provided with more exact answers.

Greetings,

charliedeut

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
ok im just confused - I am thought irregular verbs and verbs are used in a different way - headline is supposed to be in present simple and read ' Supreme Court judge gets convicted ' is that the correct use? I think that it is correct usuage but as I said im confused by regular and irregular verbs. So it would be correct to say that of that headline - Supreme Court judge is the subject - 'gets ' is the base form of the verb for present simple.

The rules for simple present verb forms for regular and irregular verbs are the same. The headline posted above is correct.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Regular" verbs form their past tense and past participle by adding "-ed."

"Today, I walk. Yesterday, I walked."

"Irregular" verbs have different forms.

"I buy. Yesterday, I bought."

There is no choice about whether you are going to use a "regular" or "irregular" form - the verb you choose determines how it is conjugated.

tate&lyle

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Ireland
Current Location
Philippines
Thank you. That makes sense and has really clarified this for me. I appreciate that, have a great day!

Status
Not open for further replies.