[Grammar] Changing "~boy, who looked like~" into "~boy, and the boy looked like~"

Status
Not open for further replies.

eggcracker

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
South Korea
Changing "~boy, who looked like~" into "~boy, and the boy looked like~"

"A bald man suddenly cut in front of the teenager boy, who looked like he was about to protest until the man pulled out a gun and pointed at the blond teller"
Is it grammatical to change above sentence into below sentence? And is there any difference between two?
"A bald man suddenly cut in front of the teenager boy, and the boy looked like he was about to protest until the man pulled out a gun and pointed at the blond teller."

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Re: Changing "~boy, who looked like~" into "~boy, and the boy looked like~"

It's OK, but there is no benefit to re-writing it that way. I wouldn't do it.

You need to say "...gun and pointed it at the blond teller."

eggcracker

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
South Korea

It's OK, but there is no benefit to re-writing it that way. I wouldn't do it.

You need to say "...gun and pointed it at the blond teller."

Thank you for a advice. But I too lazy to type those letters all. I usually use Copy[Ctrl+C] and Paste[Ctrl+V].:-D

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland

Thank you for a advice. But I too lazy to type those letters all. I usually use Copy[Ctrl+C] and Paste[Ctrl+V].:-D

If you are too lazy to write your questions correctly, why should we take the trouble to answer them?

eggcracker

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
South Korea

If you are too lazy to write your questions correctly, why should we take the trouble to answer them?
No no no no no. I meant when I write similar patterns of sentences, I amend my sentences after copying original sentence.
If you are referring to the title, the space was not enough to write grammatical sentence. I always write my own title for question by typing.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

"A bald man suddenly cut in front of the teenager boy, who looked like he was about to protest until the man pulled out a gun and pointed at the blond teller"
Is it grammatical to change above sentence into below sentence? And is there any difference between two?
"A bald man suddenly cut in front of the teenager boy, and the boy looked like he was about to protest until the man pulled out a gun and pointed at the blond teller."

So if you cut and pasted the original sentence, where did you find it? It contains several errors and there is little point in you asking if it's OK to rewrite a sentence in a particular way when it was written badly in the first place.

Your original sentence should have said "A bald man suddenly cut in front of the teenage boy, who looked like he was about to protest until the man pulled out a gun and pointed it at the blonde teller".

eggcracker

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
South Korea

So if you cut and pasted the original sentence, where did you find it? It contains several errors and there is little point in you asking if it's OK to rewrite a sentence in a particular way when it was written badly in the first place.

Your original sentence should have said "A bald man suddenly cut in front of the teenage boy, who looked like he was about to protest until the man pulled out a gun and pointed it at the blonde teller".

I found that sentence when I searched how to choose topic for short writing. You can see original full text or writing by clicking the following blue letters.
http://www.creative-writing-now.com/how-to-write-short-stories.html

By the way, I usually use quite many sites when I'm not sure about the expressions or usage as well. I know all of those are not always correct, but it help me to understand quite well.
Ah! I have one more question about "teenage boy". If "teenager boy" was incorrect, then what if i I put dash(-) between teenager and boy? Is it grammatical if I use expression like "teenager-boy"?

Last edited:

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

I believe "blonde" specifically refers to a woman. "Blond" is more gender neutral.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

I believe "blonde" specifically refers to a woman. "Blond" is more gender neutral.

You're absolutely right. I have no idea at all why I got the impression from the sentence that the teller was a woman! In a rather sexist way, it was probably simply the fact that I rarely hear people refer to men as blond. Fair-haired, yes, but when I hear something like "The driver was blond", I assume it was a woman and if I transcribed it, would put "blonde".

That's not very PC of me, is it? :roll:

eggcracker

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
South Korea

You're absolutely right. I have no idea at all why I got the impression from the sentence that the teller was a woman! In a rather sexist way, it was probably simply the fact that I rarely hear people refer to men as blond. Fair-haired, yes, but when I hear something like "The driver was blond", I assume it was a woman and if I transcribed it, would put "blonde".

That's not very PC of me, is it? :roll:

I didn't know that there was difference between blond and blonde. To me, two words are both same in meaning and pronunciation concerning adjective.:-?

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

I don't think many native speakers recognise or use the variants. However, those of us who learnt French at school are far more likely to follow that particular gender difference. It may not be common any more, but I still use "blond" for men and "blonde" for women.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

No, putting a hyphen to make it teenager-boy would NOT improve the sentence.
You can say "a teenager" or "a teenage boy" but not "a teenager boy."

Status
Not open for further replies.