[Vocabulary] Are the verb "school" and the verb "educate" interchangeable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eggcracker

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
South Korea
"I was schooled by an excellent teacher about that field for 10 years at the academy."
If it okay to change "schooled" into "educated"? If so, is there any difference in nuance?

Last edited:

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"I was schooled by a excellent a teacher about that field for 10 years at the academy."
If it okay to change "schooled" into "educated"? If so, is there any difference in nuance?

It's OK to change and no difference.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
"I was schooled by a excellent a teacher about that field for 10 years at the academy."

Your sentence is very poor English whether you use "schooled" or "educated". You have been posting on this forum for long enough and received enough guidance by now to know that there are problems with that sentence.

eggcracker

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
South Korea
Your sentence is very poor English whether you use "schooled" or "educated". You have been posting on this forum for long enough and received enough guidance by now to know that there are problems with that sentence.
Is it okay if I rewrite like this?
"I was schooled by an excellent teacher about that field for 10 years at the academy."

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Is it okay if I rewrite like this?
No, not really. You were trained or educated in a field.

eggcracker

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
South Korea
Umm??:-? It's confusing. If I was talking about field of making clothes and cooking at the academy since I was child, should I use those words(educated, trained)? And is it wrong to use "I've been schooled...for ...years"?

Last edited:

eggcracker

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
South Korea
It's OK to change and no difference.
Will you give me more explanation? I can't sure about your answer because it contradict other answers from two people.:-?

Status
Not open for further replies.