"Let me pass"/ what are the other alternatives for this request please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

moonlike

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi
When somewhere is packed with people and you want to pass, what else can you say instead of "let me pass please"? How about some formal situations that an important person wants to pass and you request the others to step aside so that he passes ?
P.S I do apologize first because I put two questions in one thread. However, they were kind of related. That's why I didn't want to put my friends in trouble by reading two threads.;-)

Thanks a bunch.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hi
When somewhere is packed with people and you want to pass, what else can you say instead of "let me pass please"? How about some formal situations that an important person wants to pass and you request the others to step aside so that he passes ?
P.S I do apologize first because I put two questions in one thread. However, they were kind of related. That's why I didn't want to put my friends in trouble by reading two threads.;-)

Thanks a bunch.
You can say "Excuse me, [please]" and touch the person lightly on the shoulder/arm (if necessary, eg. if there is a tight crowd, and it's hard to tell where your voice is coming from or who it is addressed to - eg. in a bus/train). It's usually obvious that you want to pass.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
1. 'Excuse me.'

2. 'Excuse me. Please make way for the guest speaker'. (Anybody more 'important' will have his own minders.)

That's why I didn't want to put my friends to the trouble of reading two threads.

Rover

Status
Not open for further replies.