Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 11 to 20 of 20

Thread: the door car

  1. #11
    BrunaBC's Avatar
    BrunaBC is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    238
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: the door car

    Thank you TheParser! I see what you guys mean, and your reply added up to SoothingDave's has led me to assume that both constructions (possessive + noun / adj + noun) are ok.
    In your sentence "Anchingly, he closed the car's door and locked it" I could replace the car's door for the car door with no significant change in meaning. Right?
    Not a teacher.

  2. #12
    TheParser is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    4,981
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: the door car

    Quote Originally Posted by BrunaBC View Post
    "Anchingly, he closed the car's door and locked it" I could replace the car's door for the car door with no significant change in meaning. Right?
    I do not have the confidence to answer your question. I shall leave the answer to a more intelligent person than I.

    P.S. When I said that the "books" section of Google was my favorite place, I -- of course -- meant it was my second

    favorite place -- after UsingEnglish.com.

  3. #13
    SoothingDave is online now VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    9,659
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: the door car

    Quote Originally Posted by BrunaBC View Post
    Thank you TheParser! I see what you guys mean, and your reply added up to SoothingDave's has led me to assume that both constructions (possessive + noun / adj + noun) are ok.
    In your sentence "Anchingly, he closed the car's door and locked it" I could replace the car's door for the car door with no significant change in meaning. Right?
    Right. As long as it's still part of a car. A factory would make car doors that are not yet any car's doors.

  4. #14
    atabitaraf is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    1,219
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: the door car

    Quote Originally Posted by SoothingDave View Post
    Why not for car? What kind of door is it? A car door.
    'a car door' and 'the car door'
    I think the function of 'car' depends on the article. For answering the question 'What kind of door' if you answer, "a car door," the door is not still in a chassis so 'car' functions as an adjective. I cannot imagine 'car' in 'the car door' could function as an adjective.
    Thanks,

  5. #15
    5jj's Avatar
    5jj is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    28,168
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: the door car

    Quote Originally Posted by atabitaraf View Post
    I think the function of 'car' depends on the article. For answering the question 'What kind of door' if you answer, "a car door," the door is not still in a chassis so 'car' functions as an adjective. I cannot imagine 'car' in 'the car door' could function as an adjective.
    Whether you consider 'car' to be functioning as a noun or adjective, it has the same function in these two sentences:

    Somebody dumped a car door and a stethoscope in my garden. The car door looked new, but the stethoscope was clearly very old.

  6. #16
    SoothingDave is online now VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    9,659
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: the door car

    Quote Originally Posted by atabitaraf View Post
    'a car door' and 'the car door'
    I think the function of 'car' depends on the article. For answering the question 'What kind of door' if you answer, "a car door," the door is not still in a chassis so 'car' functions as an adjective. I cannot imagine 'car' in 'the car door' could function as an adjective.
    Thanks,
    A car door can very well still be attached to a car.

  7. #17
    atabitaraf is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    1,219
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: the door car

    Quote Originally Posted by SoothingDave View Post
    A car door can very well still be attached to a car.

    Of course, but in your sentence you mention it separately without considering the car.
    A. Hey B what is this damaged door on your car? Why didn't you replace it?
    B. Oh A! It's a car door. A car door is a car door man.

  8. #18
    emsr2d2's Avatar
    emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    23,260
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: the door car

    Quote Originally Posted by atabitaraf View Post
    Of course, but in your sentence you mention it separately without considering the car.
    A. Hey B what is this damaged door on your car? Why didn't you replace it?
    B. Oh A! It's a car door. A car door is a car door man.
    I don't see any difference whether it's attached to a car or not.

    - I got up this morning and discovered someone had thrown a car door into my garden!
    - I went to drive to work this morning and discovered my car door wouldn't unlock.
    - I'm going to the garage later to have my car door fixed.
    - Have you seen the latest "installation" at the art gallery? It's a car door attached to a tent and hanging from the ceiling. How can that be considered art?!

  9. #19
    5jj's Avatar
    5jj is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    28,168
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: the door car

    18 posts so far (well, this is #19). I wonder how long some of you can keep this up. Is there a real problem left?

  10. #20
    BobK's Avatar
    BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    15,570
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: the door car

    Quote Originally Posted by atabitaraf View Post
    ...
    But I think if your text is centrally about a car you can use 's for showing its property as a literal device (like people)
    For example, As I was cycling past, the car's door opened... - that's possible. Equally possible would be As I was cycling past the car, its door opened...; and there are several other possibilities.

    b

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Similar Threads

  1. Back Door - Rear Door...
    By Cervantes in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 26-Sep-2011, 07:44
  2. do the car door
    By lauraguan in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-Jun-2010, 11:28
  3. Please close the door of the car is this right
    By battery in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 27-May-2010, 13:43
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 17-Aug-2009, 10:42
  5. Can we say two-door three-compartment car?
    By Silver Boat in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 14-Dec-2007, 12:23

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •