Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Estonia
Current Location
Estonia
I'm new here, so first of all let me say hello... Hello! Ok, that's done, so lets get to the main part.
My name's Max and I'm Russian from Estonia. I'm 22 and I'm an interpreter. Not a professional one, but I'm working on it. I mostly translate machinima, game trailers and fan made films about video games. From English to Russian, of course. I've been doing this for over 2 years, so you could say I have some experience. Good translation is all about working with the text. Unfortunately most of the originals rarely include subtitles, so it's kinda hard for me sometimes to get the right lines. But I somehow managed to do it so far so that's not the point. Since I'm a really huge movie fan, I'm planning to start translating movie trailers. And here is the main reason why I write this post. I'm looking for help. I mean I thought I did, before I realized I could make some friends who just like movies. It's not that hard for natives to write a few lines from trailers, right? And the way I see it, it'll be fun to discuss those trailers and some other movies with a cinephile from a whole different country.
So if you are somehow interested, don't hesitate to message me. I'm always glad to make new friends, especially when we have something in common;)

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Try posting some bits and see what people have to say.

Welcome to the forum. :hi:

Kinomaks

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Estonia
Current Location
Estonia
Hm, thanks for advice. I'm gonna give it a shot.
Right now I'm trying to translate "Flight" movie trailer. That's a new film by Robert Zemeckis. I can't post links yet, so you'll have to find it on YouTube.
Unfortunately, I can't get a few lines:
1:11 - ???, is an attorney from Chicago.
And soon afterwards when Don Cheadle starts speaking:
You don't remember having a ??? night of the crash.

Actually this trailer is a really tough one for me. There are more places where I have no idea what they say. It was just an example. And because of that I can't translate it properly, but that's the only way I want to do it. So if you are up to discussing this trailer and movies in general, I'd be really grateful.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Flight Trailer - YouTube

The first is the name of the lawyer, but I couldn't catch it and it's not in IMDB: Flight (2012) - Full cast and crew

The second sounds like 'You don't remember having your blood drawn the night of the crash'.

PS I am moving this thread into a section where others may have a go at answering it too.

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Hi,

Also, please be aware that there are many people here who are not native speakers of English. So maybe you should avoid using expressions like "kinda" (1st post) or "gonna" (your 2nd post); it may confuse some learners.

Thank you for your efforts, and (of course) welcome :hi:

Greetings,

charliedeut

Kinomaks

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Estonia
Current Location
Estonia
Thank you, Tdol. As you can see, even natives can't get the lines sometimes. But as I said earlier, these are not the only places. So if you can help me here, then I'll post some other bits(in brackets are my thoughts):
0:36 - I have no control of my ??? (side?)
0:40 - The way you landed that plane was nothing sort of miracle(is he really saying, that it was not a miracle? Because it looks just like one)
1:25 - ??? in 10 days(something about the hearings?)
2:00 - this ???(thing?) is so heavy it's killing me
2:02 - Get out! ???(Go on, paw?)
2:04 - ??? before the flight(drank a night before the flight?)
2:09 - It's a ???. It's a ???(lie or a lot?)
2:17 - ???(We are going to start a barrel, or we got to stop the barrel? Or it's not a barrel at all?)

Didn't think about it, charliedeut. Thanks. I will remember to avoid those expressions.

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Thank you, Tdol. As you can see, even natives can't get the lines sometimes. But as I said earlier, these are not the only places. So if you can help me here, then I'll post some other bits(in brackets are my thoughts):
0:36 - I have no control of my ??? (side?) I would say so too
0:40 - The way you landed that plane was nothing short of a miracle(is he really saying, that it was not a miracle? Because it looks just like one)
1:25 - ??? in 10 days(something about the hearings?)
2:00 - this ???(thing?) is so heavy it's killing me I think so, although it could also be "affair"
2:02 - Get out! ???(Go on, paw?)
2:04 - ??? before the flight(drank a night before the flight?) I think he says "I drank the night before the flight"
2:09 - It's a ???. It's a ???(lie or a lot?)
2:17 - ???(We are going to start a barrel, or we got to stop the barrel? Or it's not a barrel at all?)

Didn't think about it, charliedeut. Thanks. I will remember to avoid those expressions.

Sorry, no idea about the others :oops:

Greetings,

charliedeut

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
The name might be "Hugh Ryan". When you type "hugh ryan" into Google, the first suggestion that shows up is "hugh ryan attorney".

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I'm sure 2:02 is "punk". I'm not sure about the rest and I don't want to guess.

tzfujimino

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
0:36 - I have no control of my ??? (side?) I agree it's 'side.'
0:40 - The way you landed that plane was nothing sort of miracle(is he really saying, that it was not a miracle? Because it looks just like one) ....nothing short of miracle.
1:25 - ??? in 10 days(something about the hearings?) I hear something like..'ANDs and...'??? I can't catch it.
2:00 - this ???(thing?) is so heavy it's killing me 'This thing(bang?) is so heavy it's killed me.'
2:02 - Get out! ???(Go on, paw?) Sounds like 'Get out! Go away, pa!' to me.
2:04 - ??? before the flight(drank a night before the flight?) 'I drank the night before the flight.'
2:09 - It's a ???. It's a ???(lie or a lot?) Sounds like 'It's a lie, Owen, it's lie.' to me.
2:17 - ???(We are going to start a barrel, or we got to stop the barrel? Or it's not a barrel at all?) Sounds like 'We're going to stop power.' to me.

Oh...it's a hard one.:oops:

Last edited:

Kinomaks

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Estonia
Current Location
Estonia
I decided to leave this trailer behind for a while. I don't want to translate it if I'm not sure of what they say. But thank you for answering! So I can post such topics in this section?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I decided to leave this trailer behind for a while. I don't want to translate it if I'm not sure of what they say. But thank you for answering! So I can post such topics in this section?
Yes. It's fine to ask questions in this forum about what can be heard, or about the meaning of what you hear. If you want to talk about films, this is the place: General Members Discussions

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It will be much easier once you have made the requisite number of posts (10, I think) and then you can post links. It might be easier if you don't ask for quite so many lines in one post. A maximum of perhaps two or three which can be heard within one or two minutes' of the clip is probably sufficient.

Status
Not open for further replies.