Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 11 to 15 of 15
  1. #11
    BobK's Avatar
    BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    15,474
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: When do the british pronounce r?

    Quote Originally Posted by birdeen's call View Post
    Not in all of them: the "r" in "storm" is silent.
    I think K was talking about consonant clusters that come before a vowel (as in his examples). Although it looks like a consonant cluster, the '-rm' of 'storm' isn't one (in a phonological sense). (Of course, the dialectal variaations already noted do sound the r - indeed there are some that insert a schwa between the r and the m).

    b

  2. #12
    birdeen's call is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    5,099
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: When do the british pronounce r?

    Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    I think K was talking about consonant clusters that come before a vowel (as in his examples). Although it looks like a consonant cluster, the '-rm' of 'storm' isn't one (in a phonological sense). (Of course, the dialectal variaations already noted do sound the r - indeed there are some that insert a schwa between the r and the m).
    I don't understand. Isn't it a consonant cluster for a Californian person, for example? It's not for a speaker of a non-rhotic accent of course, but that was my point. Do you mean that I shoud have taken "stormed" as an example?

    In which accents is there a schwa between the "r" and the "m" in "storm"? It doesn't sound unnatural to me but I can't recall any particular accent that does that.

  3. #13
    BobK's Avatar
    BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    15,474
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: When do the british pronounce r?

    Quote Originally Posted by birdeen's call View Post
    I don't understand. Isn't it a consonant cluster for a Californian person, for example? It's not for a speaker of a non-rhotic accent of course, but that was my point. Do you mean that I shoud have taken "stormed" as an example? I was just defending K's examples, and I'd bet myself I wouldn't be the first to say 'non-rhotic'!

    In which accents is there a schwa between the "r" and the "m" in "storm"? It doesn't sound unnatural to me but I can't recall any particular accent that does that.
    bhai would know for sure, but I think the Irish 'form' sounds like 'forum'.

    Something similar happens with another liquid. Irish 'film' definitely has two syllables.

    b

  4. #14
    5jj's Avatar
    5jj is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    28,168
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: When do the british pronounce r?

    Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    Something similar happens with another liquid. Irish 'film' definitely has two syllables.b
    So does Geordie 'film', but I think Geordie 'form' is only one syllable.
    Please do not edit your question after it has received a response. Such editing can make the response hard for others to understand.


  5. #15
    BobK's Avatar
    BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    15,474
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: When do the british pronounce r?

    Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    bhai would know for sure, but I think the Irish 'form' sounds like 'forum'.

    ...
    Maybe it's just my ear. It could be that the r is syllabic. Since doing my CELTA I've taken to hearing schwa everywhere, as is the ELT fashion, where there are really syllabic consonants.

    b

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Similar Threads

  1. Where British held sway." means "Where British ruled
    By twilit1988 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 15-Sep-2011, 19:05
  2. [General] British vs British subjects
    By mokbon in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 19-Apr-2011, 13:15
  3. How do you pronounce..?
    By niut in forum Pronunciation and Phonetics
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 28-Nov-2010, 21:04
  4. How to pronounce 2-1, 3-3 and 1-0 ?
    By ph2004 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-Mar-2010, 12:47

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •