What does "he Cam" mean? A euphemism of "He's a stud"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Hi,

IMO its just a wordplay on Cam for Cameron and Barack Obama's "Yes, we can!" during the last Presidential Election Campaign

Greetings,

charliedeut

NewHopeR

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi,

IMO its just a wordplay on Cam for Cameron and Barack Obama's "Yes, we can!" during the last Presidential Election Campaign

Greetings,

charliedeut

Thank you.
What does "signing off" mean? Signing his signature on the agreement (the text)?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It's not an agreement as it's unofficial- signing off means ending the text.

NewHopeR

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
It's not an agreement as it's unofficial- signing off means ending the text.

Here is a problem: If it was a personal message from Brooks to Cameron, why not signing off with "Yes, you Cam!"?
If I talked to you and wanted to encourage you, I'd say "Yes you can!" If I said "Yes, he can!" You would misunderstand it, wouldn't you?

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Here is a problem: If it was a personal message from Brooks to Cameron, why not signing off with "Yes, you Cam!"?
If I talked to you and wanted to encourage you, I'd say "Yes you can!" If I said "Yes, he can!" You would misunderstand it, wouldn't you?

I wouldn't read too much into what was supposed to be a play on words.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

It's meant to be a joke, though don't try looking too much into it as it's not funny. Remember, she was a journalist and the tabloid newspapers are very fond of using headlines that are plays on words. In fact, one of her papers used Yes, he Cam the next day.

NewHopeR

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
It's meant to be a joke, though don't try looking too much into it as it's not funny. Remember, she was a journalist and the tabloid newspapers are very fond of using headlines that are plays on words. In fact, one of her papers used Yes, he Cam the next day.

Is News International a tabloid?

PS. (Wiki)Rebekah Mary Brooks (née Wade; born 27 May 1968) is a British journalist and former newspaper editor. She was Chief Executive Officer of News International from 2009 to 2011, having previously served as the youngest editor of a British national newspaper as editor of the News of the World[SUP][7][/SUP] - from 2000 to 2003 - and the first female editor of The Sun[SUP][8][/SUP] - from 2003 to 2009. Brooks married actor Ross Kemp in 2002. They divorced in 2009[SUP][6][/SUP] and she married former racehorse trainer and author Charlie Brooks.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Is News International a tabloid?

No, but it publishes The Sun and used to publish News of the World, which was shut down a few months ago. She edited them both before becoming the CEO.

Status
Not open for further replies.