Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: 2012

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

    • Join Date: Sep 2006
    • Posts: 44
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    2012

    Hi,

    Recently, I have come across with people reading 2012 as "twenty, twelve". I was wondering if this is correct. I always read it as "two thousand twelve".

    Thank you

  1. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 24,990
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by rosa87 View Post
    Hi,

    Recently, I have come across with people reading 2012 as "twenty, twelve". I was wondering if this is correct. I always read it as "two thousand twelve".

    Thank you
    You'll hear "two thousand and twelve" (BrE, I don't know if this is used in AmE), "two thousand twelve" (AmE, never used in BrE) and "twenty twelve". I don't know if the latter is used in AmE but it's become even more prevalent since the subject of the London Olympics has been talked about so much. For some reason the "two thousand and twelve Olympics" doesn't sound as neat as the "twenty twelve Olympics" or, as it's known here, "London twenty twelve".

    We didn't say the years this way in the UK until 2010 (ie we never said "twenty oh eight" etc). I have heard people using "twenty ten" - that may be because there was a film (sequel to 2001 A Space Odyssey) by the same name and that was officially referred to as "twenty ten". I don't think "twenty eleven" was as popular though.
    Last edited by emsr2d2; 15-Jun-2012 at 08:53.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 44,225
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: 2012

    You'll hear both being used.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

    • Join Date: Sep 2006
    • Posts: 44
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: 2012

    Thank you! It was of great help for me.

  2. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 23,079
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    You'll hear "two thousand and twelve" (BrE, I don't know if this is used in AmE), "two thousand twelve" (AmE, never used in BrE) and "twenty twelve". I don't know if the latter is used in AmE but it's become even more prevalent since the subject of the London Olympics has been talked about so much. For some reason the "two thousand and twelve Olympics" doesn't sound as neat as the "twenty twelve Olympics" or, as it's known here, "London twenty twelve".

    We didn't say the years this way in the UK until 2010 (ie we never said "twenty oh eight" etc). I have heard people using "twenty ten" - that may be because there was a film (sequel to 2001 A Space Odyssey) by the same name and that was officially referred to as "twenty ten". I don't think "twenty eleven" was as popular though.
    I was horrified to hear somebody on BBC Radio 4 say "That was in twenty oh seven".
    This was yesterday.

  3. david11's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Tamil
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Nov 2011
    • Posts: 588
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Re: 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    I was horrified to hear somebody on BBC Radio 4 say "That was in twenty oh seven".
    This was yesterday.
    I had heard Indian medias saying "twenty oh nine" during general election which was held in 2009.

  4. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,167
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #7

    Re: 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    I was horrified to hear somebody on BBC Radio 4 say "That was in twenty oh seven".
    This was yesterday.
    I'd horrify you; I say "oh seven" (without the 'twenty) in informal conversation. Within my family, I even say "ought seven", a conscious reminder of the way my grandfather used to speak of the years of the first decade of the twentieth century.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Apr 2009
    • Posts: 10,372
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #8

    Re: 2012

    "Twenty twelve" is the way I hear it most often here in the US. As stated above, no one would said it like this for years before 2010.

  5. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 24,990
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #9

    Re: 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by 5jj View Post
    I'd horrify you; I say "oh seven" (without the 'twenty) in informal conversation. Within my family, I even say "ought seven", a conscious reminder of the way my grandfather used to speak of the years of the first decade of the twentieth century.
    You've pointed out something I completely neglected - I too say "oh five, oh six, oh seven" etc without the "twenty" but I wouldn't say them with the "twenty".

Similar Threads

  1. Created on 09.01.2012
    By AlexAD in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-Jan-2012, 04:16
  2. The 2012 Olympic Games will be held in London
    By joham in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 25-Oct-2011, 01:40

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •