Could this be a correct explanation for Object Pronouns?

Status
Not open for further replies.

learning54

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Hi teachers,
Could this be a correct explanation?
Before an object pronoun in general we should have a preposition or a verb. If yes, could you rephrase it?

Information to consider, I have explained to the students this one:
After a subject pronoun we always have a verb.
The explanations are given because after them they have 'a fill in the blanks' exercise with subject and object pronouns.

Thanks in advance.

BrunaBC

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
Hi learning54,

I teach my students the same way through examples:

He wants to talk to her. (He 'the subject pronoun' is the doer, and the verb here is 'to want', and Her 'the object pronoun' is the one he wants to talk to 'prep'.)
And as you said, some verbs don't require a preposition, as in the example 'She helps me".

learning54

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Hi learning54,

I teach my students the same way through examples:

He wants to talk to her. (He 'the subject pronoun' is the doer, and the verb here is 'to want', and Her 'the object pronoun' is the one he wants to talk to 'prep'.)
And as you said, some verbs don't require a preposition, as in the example 'She helps me".

Hi,
Thank you for your reply and examples.
Best,
L.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I am not a teacher and I don't pretend to be, but I think I would understand better if you focused on the ROLE the pronoun plays in the sentence (as Bruna says, is it the "doer" or the "receiver" of the action, directly or indirectly) and not tell them to look for cues like "what sort of word comes before or after it."

When you consider how many words in English can be both a noun and a verb, and also things like inversion, simply picking out words to serve as signposts is not going to be helpful in the long run.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
***** NOT A TEACHER *****

May I add my two bits?

I agree with Bruna that it might be helpful to tell your students something like this:

An object pronoun is exactly what it says: It is a pronoun that is the object of a verb or preposition.

verb + object pronoun: I love her.

preposition + object pronoun: I study with him.

As Barb reminded us, sometimes there is inversion, but the rule remains:

Who(m) do you live with?

One of your smarter students would answer:

I know! I know! The object pronoun is "who(m)" because it is the object of the preposition "with." That is: You do live with who(m)?

When you congratulate your student on her excellent grasp of grammar, she will reply: That's because I have

such a wonderful teacher!

Status
Not open for further replies.