Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
what is the difference between firm and company?

Today my friend brought a slip( A self declaration letter) which read: In the first application we were wrongly mentioned the category as firm and we are originally belongs to ________ name. Hence we require to change the category as company.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
what is the difference between firm and company? There is no difference.

Today my friend brought a slip( A self declaration letter) which read: In the first application we were wrongly mentioned the category as firm and we are originally belongs to ________ name. Hence we require to change the category as company.

"In the first application we were wrongly mentioned the category as firm and we are originally belongs to ________ name. Hence we require to change the category as company." This makes no sense.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
According to your link, "firms" are partnerships while "companies" are any profit-making limited liability organization.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
It's worse than vague, much of it is almost incomprehensible.
It's fun though - "They work together characterized by organizational behavior in order to bring about results and goals of their company. A leader in an organization is appointed to a managerial position and has the right to command, enforce obedience and behavior by force of the authority of his position."

tzfujimino

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
It's fun though - "They work together characterized by organizational behavior in order to bring about results and goals of their company. A leader in an organization is appointed to a managerial position and has the right to command, enforce obedience and behavior by force of the authority of his position."

It's rather strong language.
I understand the message as a Japanese citizen, though.:-D
(I don't know the difference between 'firm' and 'company.')
firm - Definition and pronunciation | Oxford Advanced Learners Dictionary at OxfordLearnersDictionaries.com

Status
Not open for further replies.