English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Ireland
Current Location
Spain
Hi

I hope someone can give me some advice, I have recently been asked to take on a group of workers who deal with checking and unloading boats which transport gasoline. I have to teach them just the english that they need for their work, no grammar, reasons why etc, nothing. Im finding it very difficult reason being, my experience although some what varied does not include this type of teaching are there any good books out there or any tips you could give me?

thanks in advance

Col

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I don't know of any books, but any that there are could well be too general for your purposes. Can you find out from the workers themselves or from the person who hired you just what English they do need?

javier1

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Ireland
Current Location
Spain
Hi
Thanks for replying, yes I have a list of vocabulary, I have been told to focus on modal verbs and commands, this is fine but how do I teach it?, are they expected to learn from memory? role - plays? Was hoping to hear from someone who is teaching english for specific purposes, is the methology used different?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
With something that specific, where there are probably few if any materials, using your students as a resource to see what they use through a needs analysis may be a good way forward.

There are some oil industry ESL sites, but not many that I know of: ESL Web Directory: Search Results

Status
Not open for further replies.