[Grammar] Change of tenses in a sentence .....

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellother

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Can anyone clarify when to change tenses in a particular sentence ?

For example , We say " When he was younger , he lifted weights and went jogging " ( simple past)
Can we use " When he was younger , he HAD lifted weights and etc ....? ( simple past and past perfect ie a change of tense ) ...

Another complicated sentence :

" Researchers have found that individuals who have been blind , and who thus have never seen anyone gesture , nevertheless make hand motions just as frequently as sighted people do ."

In the above sentence , (" have been blind " is past perfect continuous (isn't it? ) and " never seen anyone gesture " is past perfect ) ... What I am asking is : Is this change allowed ? Should it not be " never been seeing anyone gesture " ?

In a nutshell , when should we change tenses ? And does a change of tense mean a " change in the timing of the events " or " a change in the same type ( like the above example where there is a change from PAST perfect continuous to PAST PERFECT ? Sorry for the long question :-|.....

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
For example , We say " When he was younger , he lifted weights and went jogging " ( simple past)
Can we use " When he was younger , he HAD lifted weights and etc ....? ( simple past and past perfect ie a change of tense ) ...
The past perfect is acceptable, but there is no need for it.
" Researchers have found that individuals who have been blind , and who thus have never seen anyone gesture , nevertheless make hand motions just as frequently as sighted people do ."

In the above sentence , (" have been blind " is past perfect continuous (isn't it? ) No. It is present perfect and " have never seen anyone gesture " is past perfect ) No. It is present perfect ... What I am asking is : Is this change allowed ? Should it not be " never been seeing anyone gesture " ? No. that is not acceptable English

In a nutshell , when should we change tenses ?
We use a tense that is appropriate for the message we wish to convey.

hellother

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Thanks for the reply...
Just 1 more doubt ....
Sorry
, yeah ... it is present perfect .... but isn't the first one " Present perfect continuous ? " because if we substitute
something else like "playing" in the place of "blind" , we get present perfect continuous ... right ? The individuals are still blind ...

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Continuous/Progressive verb forms are constructed with BE and the -ing formof the verb:

I am writing, I was writing, I have been writing, I had been writing ....

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
but isn't the first one " Present perfect continuous ? " because if we substitute
something else like "playing" in the place of "blind" , we get present perfect continuous ... right ? The individuals are still blind ...

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Hello,

I understand how difficult it is to understand tenses.

May I most respectfully suggest that when you have time, you review in your books "present perfect" and "present perfect continuous/progressive"?

They are blind.
They were blind.
They will be blind.
They have been blind. (Present perfect)
They had been blind.
They will have been blind.

May I remind you that "blind" in those sentences is an adjective. It describes those people.

It is different from the verb "blind," as in:

The bright lights temporarily blinded the driver.

The progressive tenses are different.

I am eating.
I was eating.
I will be eating.
I have been eating for 15 minutes. ("eating" is a verb form; it is not an adjective.)
I had been eating.
I will have been eating.

You could say: The snowstorm has been blinding the drivers for two hours. (But remember: "blinding" is a verb form.

It tells us what the snowstorm has been doing to the drivers -- temporarily.)

This all can be very confusing. Please continue to ask questions here until you understand it. May I gently remind you

that you really need to understand present perfect and present perfect continuous if you wish to speak English fluently.

HAVE A NICE DAY!

hellother

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hello ,

Thanks for the reply .... I have understood ....I will continue to post questions if I have doubts ...
Have a nice day....

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello ,

Thanks for the reply. I have understood. I will continue to post questions if I have doubts.
Have a nice day.

Please remember that you only need to put one full stop at the end of each sentence.

Status
Not open for further replies.