Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Like a synonym of speech, which is the general term, address implies some degree of formality

The word like here is incorrect but I don't know how to correct it, nor do I understand what is this sentence about. Can some one help me please?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Like a synonym of speech, which is the general term, address implies some degree of formality

The word like here is incorrect but I don't know how to correct it, nor do I understand what is this sentence about. Can some one help me please?

The only way I can make any sense out of it is to remove the first word completely and start the sentence with "A".

A synonym of speech, which is the general term, address implies some degree of formality.

It means that the word "address", which is a synonym of the word "speech", is a more formal word than "speech".

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Well done, ems. I couldn't makes any sense of it at all.

When you are writing about words, vkhu, please distinguish the actual words from your question by using quotation marks (" " or ' '] as ems did, or italics or bold type.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
For those who think my previous post is a little prescriptive, compare these sentences:

I understand and and but but not or or nor.

I understand 'and' and 'but', but not 'or' or 'nor'.
I understand and and but, but not or or nor.
I understand and and but, but not or or nor.
I understand
and and but, but not or or nor.

I think you'll agree that the sentences in blue are easier to understand than the italicised one.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.