Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
The usage of bare "dying" gives me an unpleasant feeling, because it sounds active while "when dying" a bit more euphemistic.

Context:

Man's dearest possession is life, and it is given to him to live but once. He must live so as to feel no torturing regrets for years without purpose, never know the burning shame of a mean and petty past--so live that, dying, he can say: all my life, all my strength were given to the finest cause in all over the world--the fight for the liberation of mankind. ---Ostorovsky

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
The usage of bare "dying" gives me an unpleasant feeling, because it sounds active while "when dying" a bit more euphemistic.

Context:

Man's dearest possession is life, and it is given to him to live but once. He must live so as to feel no torturing regrets for years without purpose, never know the burning shame of a mean and petty past--so live that, dying, he can say: all my life, all my strength were given to the finest cause in all over the world--the fight for the liberation of mankind. ---Ostorovsky
It means "when dying" here. The 'when' is not necessary. The context reveals how it should be understood.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

Euphemism wouldn't suit this passage.

NewHopeR

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Euphemism wouldn't suit this passage.

The message of communism intends to have the taste of red violence?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I don't see any red violence in the text, but it is about life and death and what he sees as the most important thing in life- important things are worth dying for, not passing away for. ;-)

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Status
Not open for further replies.