• Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Use the word given in capitals at the end of each sentence to form a word that fits i

It seems ........... (THINK) today not to provide children with a decent education. [...]. Being unable to read can be intensely embarrassing and can make someone feel like a complete ...........failure...... (FAIL). Someone who can't read is often ............. (UNDERSTAND) afraid of certain situations. The problem can seem ........... (SOLVE). However, given the right teacher, a lot of hard work and a reasonable amount of time, anyone can learn.
    Thanks for your helping me! thanks so much!

5jj is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Use the word given in capitals at the end of each sentence to form a word that fi

Welcome to the forum, blackdragon.

In this forum we ask people to try exercises themselves before we step in. We are happy to advise, correct and explain, but we don't do the work for you.
    Please do not edit your question after it has received a response. Such editing can make the response hard for others to understand.

blackdragon is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Use the word given in capitals at the end of each sentence to form a word that fi

It seems ..to have thought......... (THINK) today not to provide children with a decent education. [...]. Being unable to read can be intensely embarrassing and can make someone feel like a complete ...........failure...... (FAIL). Someone who can't read is often ....understandably......... (UNDERSTAND) afraid of certain situations. The problem can seem ...be solved........ (SOLVE). However, given the right teacher, a lot of hard work and a reasonable amount of time, anyone can learn.
    welcome all comments! thanks so much!

emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

It seems ..
    to have thought ......... (THINK) today not to provide children with a decent education. [...]. Being unable to read can be intensely embarrassing and can make someone feel like a complete ...........failure ...... (FAIL). Someone who can't read is often ....understandably ......... (UNDERSTAND) afraid of certain situations. The problem can seem ...be solved........ (SOLVE). However, given the right teacher, a lot of hard work and a reasonable amount of time, anyone can learn.

I welcome all comments! Thanks so much!

emsr2d2

Remember - correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing make posts much easier to read.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blackdragon View Post
    welcome all comments! thanks so much!
    It seems ..to have thought......... (THINK) today not to provide children with a decent education. [...]. Being unable to read can be intensely embarrassing and can make someone feel like a complete ...........failure...... (FAIL). Someone who can't read is often ....understandably......... (UNDERSTAND) afraid of certain situations. The problem can seem ...be solved........ (SOLVE). However, given the right teacher, a lot of hard work and a reasonable amount of time, anyone can learn.
    The two I have coloured red are fine. The other two are not.

You need a single word in each gap. In both the first and the the fourth gap, you need an adjective with a prefix showing negation (such as un/im/in/ir/etc).

ps. I see that emsr2d2 beat me to it.
    Last edited by 5jj; 18-Jun-2012 at 18:44. Reason: ps added
    Please do not edit your question after it has received a response. Such editing can make the response hard for others to understand.

blackdragon is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post

emsr2d2

Thanks so much for your correction. Please correct me again;

It seems ..
    to think......... (THINK) today not to provide children with a decent education. [...]. Being unable to read can be intensely embarrassing and can make someone feel like a complete ...........failure ...... (FAIL). Someone who can't read is often ....understandably ......... (UNDERSTAND) afraid of certain situations. The problem can seem ...solve...... (SOLVE). However, given the right teacher, a lot of hard work and a reasonable amount of time, anyone can learn.

I welcome all comments! Thanks so much!

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm afraid not. Clues to the right answers:

I find much modern poetry unreadable - too dull or too pretentious for me to enjoy reading.
    My handwriting is illegible - it's so messy that you can't read it.

Words with the suffix -able (-ible) usually mean that what precedes the suffix cannot be done. Sometimes, as in unreadable, we use the English word; sometimes, as in illegible, we use the Latin word.