Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
[h=1]Brief me about the CELTA course and classes?[/h]I will be taking CELTA in Novemeber from the UK. It is going to be little intensive. So I would like to know what material I should equip myself with example: picture cuttings, magazines, lessons etc.Although I know little about the syllabus but I also want to know the class and teaching sessions. How are they going to be?

a_vee

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Costa Rica
I took the CELTA.

I would say, be prepared to listen, and get a separate binder for all the handouts they give you. Pay attention to how they want the reports, etc. filed. There's papers for you, and papers for them. Figure out which is which.

It will be very intensive. Period. It makes people crazy. If you are taking it at an ESL institution, try to get access to their magazine clippings, etc. Get on the internet and print other resources as needed. (You'll know what you need when they tell you.) Manage your time obsessively, get enough sleep, eat right, and get as much help as is reasonable from your instructors. It's not like a school test where you study and sit the exam. They want to teach you and assess how you respond and apply their teaching.

*Watch your language grading closely- speak clearly and don't use complicated vocabulary and grammar structures with lower level students.

*Find ways to reduce the time that you, the teacher, are talking, and give the students activities to work on together instead. "Student-centered" is the magic word. TTT= teacher talking time = bad news.

They will probably start out by telling you what to teach, and giving possible materials.

You can do it. They don't want to fail you. Best wishes. It's a highly appreciated certification.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
By the end of all CELTA courses, trainees will have learnt similar things, and demonstrated similar skills. However, different course-providers have their own way of enabling their trainees to meet the requirements laid down by Cambridge. If you have questions about how best to prepare yourself for a particular course, and what you need to take with you, the best people to ask are the course providers themelves.

When I was a trainer, i did not expect my trainees to bring along magazines or pictures, though some who had aids that they had successfully used before did bring them, and were glad that they had done so. If you have lesson plans that have worked for you in the past, by all means take them with you, but remember that they may well not be useful for the lessons you will be asked to teach.

If you have no TEFL experience at all, then don't worry. "CELTA is an initial qualification for people with little or no previous teaching experience" ( CELTA). Everything you need will be (a) available in the establishment in which you are being trained, (b) fairly easy to obtain locally and/or on the internet and/or (c) recommended in your pre-course notes.

Zukaya

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Thanks a lot:)

Zukaya

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Thanks a lot.:)

al-anwaar

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
To someone who hasn't been in education for a long time, what tips could you give on the best way to complete the 4 CELTA assignments effectively.

Status
Not open for further replies.