How should non-native speakers call the United States in casual conversations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinkie9

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Hello,

I know American people call the United States "the States" in casual conversations.
Would it be weired if non-native speakers say "the States" when talking to American people?
For example, "This is the way Japanese people do. How do people do this in the States?"
Should we say "the U.S.", "the United States", or "America" instead?

Thank you in advance.

Chicken Sandwich

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
NOT A TEACHER

This is not a case of how non-natives should refer the the United States of America. If it is clear from the context that "States" refers to the USA, then sure, by all means, do use "States". It's very common. However, if you want to be specific and avoid ambiguity, then "America", " the US" or "the USA" would be more appropriate. This is just my opinion. "States" can refer to a number of things, but it often means the "USA". However, I usually prefer to avoid ambiguties and I would rather use the "US" or the "USA".

Edit: the Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English says that "States" is an informal way to refer to the USA:

States, the / steɪts /
an informal name for the united states of america

Last edited:

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello,

I know American people call the United States "the States" in casual conversations.
Would it be weired if non-native speakers say "the States" when talking to American people?
For example, "This is the way Japanese people do. How do people do this in the States?"
Should we say "the U.S.", "the United States", or "America" instead?

Thank you in advance.

Context, of course, and the person to whom you are speaking would suggest the term to use, but in general, any of those terms are OK. I would use "the U.S." if I were from another country and speaking to a native American.

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Personally, I try not to use "America" to talk about the US, since America is far larger than the US alone, and even in the US there are people aware of that fact. ;-)

Context, of course, and the person to whom you are speaking would suggest the term to use, but in general, any of those terms are OK. I would use "the U.S." if I were from another country and speaking to a native American.

And what would you use if you were talking to a WASP, or an Afro-American, an Asian-American...? :lol:

Greetings,

charliedeut

Chicken Sandwich

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
Personally, I try not to use "America" to talk about the US, since America is far larger than the US alone, and even in the US there are people aware of that fact. ;-)

Yes, I agree with that, but if it's clear from the context that "America" refers to the United States of America and not to North America or South America, then the usage is appropriate in my opinion.

Last edited:

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Yes, I agree with that, but if it's clear from the context that "America" refers to the United States of America and not to North America or South America, then the usage is appropriate in my opinion.

Hi CS,

That's the reason I started my post with "personally", to state my personal opinion. I never said it was wrong, just that I tend not to use it.

And now, a toast: "To easily-settled misunderstandings!" :cheers:

Greetings,

charliedeut

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi CS,

That's the reason I started my post with "personally", to state my personal opinion. I never said it was wrong, just that I tend not to use it.

And now, a toast: "To easily-settled misunderstandings!" :cheers:

Greetings,

charliedeut

Two different things: native Americans and Native Americans.

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Two different things: native Americans and Native Americans.

Hi Dave,

Whenever I have met people born in the US, they never said "I'm a native American." They always said "I was born in Topeka, Kansas" (or wherever their birthplace was). :up:

Nevertheless, I'm looking forward to reading opinions from native English speakers and teachers and, who knows, start a world-wide debate on the topic!

Greetings,

charlideut

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Due to the potential for misunderstanding, the term is not really used by your run-of-the-mill non "Indian" born-in-the-USA American. Especially in spoken form. But I understood the original poster perfectly. I am a native American. I'm certainly not native to anywhere else.

You are correct that an American whom you meet would likely tell you a state or city as "where he is from" or "where he was born," but that's not meant to deny that we are also Americans.

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

And what would you use if you were talking to a WASP, or an Afro-American, an Asian-American...? :lol:

Greetings,

charliedeut

Afro-Americans and Asian-Americans can, at the same time, be classified and considered as native Americans. The prefixes, Afro/Asian/Irish/Italian etc. are simply distinctions made for specific purposes. And so, again, any of the terms listed in the original thread would be OK depending on context. The term WASP is a classification that isn't relevant to this discussion.

Chicken Sandwich

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
Hi CS,

I respect your personal opinion, so don't take this the wrong way. I have noticed that most native speakers, when they talk about "America", in 99% of the times, they refer to the "United States of America". If, on different occassions they would like to include Canada as well, they always say "North America". If, on different occassions, they talk about countries such as Brazil, Uruguay etc, they always say "South America" or "Latin America". So in my opinion, "America" is not ambiguous at all. If the modifier "North", "South" or "Latin" is absent, then "America" refers to the USA. Even the Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English defines "America" as "a name commonly used for the US". If you personally feel that you don't want to use "America", fine, I'm just saying... ;-)

This is just my opinion.

pinkie9

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Thank you all.:)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Afro-Americans and Asian-Americans can, at the same time, be classified and considered as native Americans.

Question - does the term "native American" not suggest that someone was born in the USA and is therefore American by birth? I only ask because I have met many people who describe themselves as "Afro-American" but some were born in the USA and others were born elsewhere, moved to the USA and have since been naturalised. Those naturalised citizens can, of course, on that basis, call themselves "American" when referring to their citizenship (or nationality in BrE), but presumably you would not expect someone who was born in, for example, Ghana, then moved to the USA when they were ten years old and then later obtained American citizenship to refer to themselves as a native American. Am I correct?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Not an American, native or otherwise.

I have the impression, perhaps incorrect, that 'native (or Native) American' is used primarily for decendants of those people who lived in that contienent that we now refer to as (North and South) America before the arrival of the Europeans from 1492 onwards - i.e., those to whom we referred in my childhood as 'Red Indians'.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

I have the impression, perhaps incorrect, that 'native (or Native) American' is used primarily for decendants of those people who lived in that contienent that we now refer to as (North and South) America before the arrival of the Europeans from 1492 onwards - i.e., those to whom we referred in my childhood as 'Red Indians'.

In post #7, Soothing Dave pointed out that "native Americans" and "Native Americans" are not the same thing.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Yes. American "Indians" are known now as "Native Americans." With 2 capital letters.

I was born here and could call myself a "native American," but that could cause confusion. So you would not normally hear that used.

"Natural born citizen" is the term used in the Constitution as a requirement for the presidency.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Yes. American "Indians" are known now as "Native Americans." With 2 capital letters.

I was born here and could call myself a "native American," but that could cause confusion. So you would not normally hear that used.

"Natural born citizen" is the term used in the Constitution as a requirement for the presidency.

So only a "natural born citizen" (born in the USA) would be referred to as a "native American"?

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Question - does the term "native American" not suggest that someone was born in the USA and is therefore American by birth? Yes, I should have added to my original statement, "if born in the U.S." I only ask because I have met many people who describe themselves as "Afro-American" but some were born in the USA and others were born elsewhere, moved to the USA and have since been naturalised. Those naturalised citizens can, of course, on that basis, call themselves "American" when referring to their citizenship (or nationality in BrE), but presumably you would not expect someone who was born in, for example, Ghana, then moved to the USA when they were ten years old and then later obtained American citizenship to refer to themselves as a native American. Am I correct? Yes, and although I can't speak for that population, in casual conversation I think they would simply and most often refer to themselves as American. As always, context, environment and what one has for breakfast rules. :-D

b.

abaka

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
In a word, America.

The landmass is called the Americas; its continent parts, North and South America. You can also say the U.S.

A born citizen of the USA is a born American.

The aborigines are called Indians, Eskimos, Aleuts, and Dene. Or you can say Inuit, but not all Eskimos are Inuit.

I think the obvious charge so many people feel about calling the USA "America" is utterly pointless. I also think cultural sensitivity can be taken too far.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
So only a "natural born citizen" (born in the USA) would be referred to as a "native American"?

Yes. Native is related to birth, isn't it?

But, as I said, the confusion with our aboriginal people makes the term not very common.

Status
Not open for further replies.