How should non-native speakers call the United States in casual conversations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I think the obvious charge so many people feel about calling the USA "America" is utterly pointless. I also think cultural sensitivity can be taken too far.
I am not sure that I agree that it's pointless, but I do feel that in a language forum we have to accept that many (most?) US citizens consider themselves to be 'Americans', and that their country, informally, is 'America'. One of their favourite patriotic songs is America the Beautiful.

Some non-Americans (= non US citizens) and many Central and South American (and Canadian) citzens may object to this, but, linguistically, that's the way it is. I am not going to be the one to tell the [STRIKE]American[/STRIKE] US President that he is wrong to address his fellow citizens as 'My fellow Americans'.

abaka

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
...many (most?) US citizens consider themselves to be 'Americans', and that their country, informally, is 'America'.

Some non-Americans (= non US citizens) and many Central and South American (and Canadian) citizens may object to this, but, linguistically, that's the way it is.

I'm a Canadian. My fellow Canadians largely do hate the word America as a name for the USA, often saying they are Americans -- continental (North) Americans -- whenever they hear it. On the other hand, they always, without exception, say Americans and American as noun and adjective referring to the USA.

Since Americans call themselves Americans, and their country America, and so does the large part of the rest of the world, I think that settles it. So in the end it seems we agree, more or less.

Status
Not open for further replies.