Does "has a ways to go" mean "has a long way to go"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewHopeR

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Context:

The product--initially developed through the Stanford University-based incubator program StartX--still has a ways to go, including building business models for hospital use, and won't actually launch until the fall. Right now, it's in beta-testing at five undisclosed healthcare facilities including a veterans' hospital, a university hospital and tertiary cancer center, Health 2.0 News reports.

More

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Unless it's started to be used and I haven't noticed, we don't use this in BrE. We would have said "still has a long way to go" or "still has some way to go".

NewHopeR

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
If the writer said " has ways to go", it will be understandable. But he said " has a ways to go", however. It looks weird to put "a" before a plural form (ways).

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If the writer said " has ways to go", it will be understandable. But he said " has a ways to go", however. It looks weird to put "a" before a plural form (ways).

You're right that it sounds odd, and I can't explain it, but I have become very used to hearing "a ways to go" used in AmE. I've certainly never heard it used without the indefinite article.

Status
Not open for further replies.