Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Please clarify ...
Which one is correct ?

1. Although it is called a sea , the Caspian is the largest lake on Earth.
2. Although called a sea , the Caspian is the largest lake on Earth.
3. Though it is called a sea , the Caspian is the largest lake on Earth.
4. Though called a sea , the Caspian is the largest lake on Earth.

It says in my grammar book that " Although " should be followed by a subordinate(dependent) clause , which means option 2 is wrong . AM I CORRECT ?

But nothing is said regarding "though " (whether it should be followed by a subordinate(dependent) clause or not ) . So what about the 3rd and 4th options ?

First of all , am I right in saying that the 4th option DOES NOT contain a subordinate clause(for though) ? Because a clause must contain a subject and a verb and both are missing in option 4 (for though).

PLEASE REPLY!! I am very confused.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
All four are acceptable English sentences.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Hellother, don't leave a space before a punctuation mark.

Rover

abaka

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I'd like to add one thought. Though, although ["*all though"], and even though all mean the same, but even though is more emphatic than although, and although is stronger than though.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Please clarify ...
Which one is correct?

1. Although it is called a sea, the Caspian is the largest lake on Earth.
2. Although called a sea, the Caspian is the largest lake on Earth.
3. Though it is called a sea, the Caspian is the largest lake on Earth.
4. Though called a sea, the Caspian is the largest lake on Earth.

It says in my grammar book that "Although" should be followed by a subordinate(dependent) clause, which means option 2 is wrong. [STRIKE]AM I CORRECT ?[/STRIKE] Am I correct?

But nothing is said regarding "though" (whether it should be followed by a subordinate (dependent) clause or not). So what about the 3rd and 4th options?

First of all, am I right in saying that the 4th option [STRIKE]DOES NOT[/STRIKE] does not contain a subordinate clause (for though), because a clause must contain a subject and a verb and both are missing in option 4 (for though)?

[STRIKE]PLEASE REPLY!![/STRIKE] Please reply. I am very confused.

Leave a space before and after quotation marks, but only outside them.
Leave a space before and after brackets, but only outside them.
Don't leave a space before a comma, a full stop, a semi-colon, a colon, a question mark and an exclamation mark.

I have amended your punctuation in red above.
There is no need to type full sentence in capital letters. It is seen as "shouting" online. Thanks.

hellother

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hello there,
Thanks for replying and correcting my punctuation errors.
We use all the 4 options while we speak.But which one is correct grammatically?
It says in my grammar book that "Although" should be followed by a subordinate(dependent) clause.A subordinate clause must consist of a subject and a verb,both of which are not there in option 2.So is option 2 correct or not?Or is my grammar book wrong?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello there,
Thanks for replying and correcting my punctuation errors.
We use all the 4 options while we speak but which one is correct grammatically?
It says in my grammar book that "Although" should be followed by a subordinate (dependent) clause. A subordinate clause must consist of a subject and a verb, both of which are not there in option 2. So is option 2 correct or not? Or is my grammar book wrong?

As 5jj said in post #2, they are all acceptable English sentences. With this particular example, it wouldn't make any difference whether we were speaking or writing.

As you can see above, I have made more amendments to your punctuation. I should have said in my original post that we leave a space after a comma, full stop, question mark, colon, semi-colon, exclamation mark and after a "closed bracket" ) and after the quotation marks at the end of a quote.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

abaka

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Oxford dictionaries online:

The form although can be replaced by though, the only difference being that although tends to be more formal than though.

I submit that formality often makes a statement stronger.

Google "even though usage" (without quotes). Five of the top twenty say even though is stronger or more emphatic right on the Google results page. Two say the three are indistinguishable. The rest say nothing germane about emphasis.

This supports my own careful intuition that in terms of strength or emphasis though < although < even though.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Oxford dictionaries online:

I submit that formality often makes a statement stronger.

Google "even though usage" (without quotes). Five of the top twenty say even though is stronger or more emphatic right on the Google results page. Two say the three are indistinguishable. The rest say nothing germane about emphasis.

This supports my own careful intuition that in terms of strength or emphasis though < although < even though.
No it does not. Many of the links say that 'even' though is more emphatic than 'although'. I agree. Many of the links say that 'though' and 'although' mean exactly the same; I agree. Some of the links suggest that some people feel that 'although' is more formal than 'though'. I agree that some people feel this, though I don't necessarily feel that myself. None of the links I looked at suggested that 'although' was 'stronger' than 'though'; none of the dictionaries I checked here suggested this.

You submit that formality often makes a statement stronger. I think you need to provide some evidence for this statement other than your 'careful intuition', especially when there is so much evidence that most sources, lexicographers, grammarians and amateurs, consider that there is no difference between 'though' and 'although', except in the sentence positions in which they can be used.

Status
Not open for further replies.