Academic
Native Language
Telugu
Home Country
India
Current Location
Oman
Hello,

We are Indians. My wife is a Post graduate in English (MA) from an Indian University. Right now we are in Oman, a middle east country. My wife has five years of experience in teaching English for baccalaureate students.

Now she wants to apply for colleges/Universities in Oman for English Language teacher job. She has no any certification like CELTA/TESOL/TEFL. We came to know that having any such certificate is preferred and gives edge.

She wants to pursue either CELTA/TESOL and acquire the same by September 1st 2012, through ONLINE. (As we have no plans move out of Oman in this year)

I request you to suggest :

1. A course which improves her prospects with number of hours she should opt for.
2. An institute which is reliable and provides ONLINE programme.
3. I request you to suggest keeping in mind the course fee also.

Thanking you,

Dr.Ram

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Welcome to the forum, kaiparaghu. :hi:

You'll find information about schools offering online courses here.

I'm With Stupid

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Vietnam
It's just worth pointing out that an online CELTA isn't entirely online. You still have to go into a training centre and be observed in 6 hours of teaching practice. And to be honest, any course where you don't have to do this won't be taken seriously. But just looking at that site, there are 4 centres in Oman that offer the CELTA and 1 that does it online.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Although the online CELTA is a as valid as the traditional CELTA, I do not recommend it to prospective teachers. I feel that trainees on the traditional centre-based course gain a great deal from four weeks of close personal contact and discussion with fellow trainees. I must stress that this is only my personal opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.