Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
Hi
Does anyone know any good British accent training that helped them change accent or sound more like English?
I googled for online training courses and found this one Learn to speak with a British accent FAST!
Can anyone tell me if this site is a scam? No contact information there

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I don't know, but the points he makes in his videos are known to any competent language teacher, so they are hardly dazzling discoveries. The accent he teaches is common in England today, but some people would prefer a slightly more upmarket variety. Perhaps I am just a little old-fashioned, though.

I find his claims for the short amount of time it takes to become taken for a native speaker hard to believe. An American actor might manage it, but no speaker of a foreign language that I have ever known could do it that quickly.

Over the top

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
Are you English, 5jj?

david11

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Are you English, 5jj?

Hi Over the top,

The member's info is just a click away. Please click member info under his name and you can find it for yourself.:)

Chicken Sandwich

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
Hi
Does anyone know any good British accent training that helped them change accent or sound more like English?
I googled for online training courses and found this one Learn to speak with a British accent FAST!
Can anyone tell me if this site is a scam? No contact information there

No. I would not buy into his claims. As pointed out by 5jj, it's very unlikely that a non-English speaker can learn any accent "quickly".

English is the third language I learnt. Before that, I was a native speaker of Dutch and Russian. It took me some before I was able to distinguish between all the different accents (generally speaking, BrE, AmE, Irish, Australian and so on). So even though I was able to produce "decent" sounds within months, it took me a couple of years before I could sound like a native speaker from England. Prior to that, my accent was a mess. Some parts sounded Irish, some parts American, some parts English and so on. However, after many years of listening, I have finally succeeded. Several teachers on this forum have confirmed that I do sound like a native speaker (here's a sample Download Unscripted Recording.mp3 | Kiwi6.com).

There is no magic "pill" that you can take, and in my opinion, such programmes make inaccurate claims. They certainly can be helpful, but it's possible to achieve similar results on your own, in my opinion.

Once you have a handle on one particular accent, others will follow more easily. That is why American actors, generally succeed in learning an accent pretty quickly, although most of them don't achieve perfect results. I have certainly experienced the same. I can't do a perfect American accent, but I can produce something that sounds remotely similar.

Last edited:

Over the top

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
Have you ever been in England? You speak very well but there is a slight accent

Chicken Sandwich

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
Have you ever been in England? You speak very well but there is a slight accent

No, I haven't.

Everyone has an "accent", although some people have a native accent, some have a foreign accent. So therefore you cannot have "no accent". Tdol and 5jj, who are from the UK, said in that thread that I sounded like a native speaker ( https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/pronunciation-phonetics/171181-how-do-i-sound.html#post884825 and https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/pronunciation-phonetics/171181-how-do-i-sound-2.html#post885003). I trust their opinion. Now I don't mean to say that my command of English equals that of native speaker of my age. Certainly not, other aspects are lagging behind.

Last edited:

anglictinar

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Great Britain
... said in that thread that I sounded like a native speaker ...

Yes, that's definitely a clearly identifiiable British accent, Chicken Sandwich, and I'd say it's exceptionally good for someone who's never been to Britain. Not only are there no mistakes in word stress or pronunciation, the phrasing and the intonation are spot on too. Congratulations. You've definitely got a good ear - probably two, in fact :lol:. I've heard many non-natives speak good grammatical English, but they haven't always been able to lose their own language's phrasing and/or intonation. I suspect you can sing in tune too!

Chicken Sandwich

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
Yes, that's definitely a clearly identifiiable British accent, Chicken Sandwich, and I'd say it's exceptionally good for someone who's never been to Britain. Not only are there no mistakes in word stress or pronunciation, the phrasing and the intonation are spot on too. Congratulations. You've definitely got a good ear - probably two, in fact :lol:. I've heard many non-natives speak good grammatical English, but they haven't always been able to lose their own language's phrasing and/or intonation. I suspect you can sing in tune too!

Thank you for your kind words. Yes, I can sing in tune, although I wouldn't attribute my phonetic skills to that ;-)

CarloSsS

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
No, I haven't.

Everyone has an "accent", although some people have a native accent, some have a foreign accent. So therefore you cannot have "no accent". Tdol and 5jj, who are from the UK, said in that thread that I sounded like a native speaker ( https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/pronunciation-phonetics/171181-how-do-i-sound.html#post884825 and https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/pronunciation-phonetics/171181-how-do-i-sound-2.html#post885003). I trust their opinion. Now I don't mean to say that my command of English equals that of native speaker of my age. Certainly not, other aspects are lagging behind.

You're one of the few non-natives speakers the correctness of answers of whose I rarely if ever doubt. Do you hold a CPE exam certificate or something equivalent to it? Because that would explain it.

Chicken Sandwich

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you for your kind words. Yes, I can sing in tune, although I wouldn't attribute my phonetic skills to that ;-)

I wouldn't be so sure. Many of the language teachers I've met also have choral singing as a hobby (as I do). ;-)

b

Over the top

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
No, I haven't.

I am sorry I don't mean to hurt you. You are definitely good. Perhaps it's only my Arabic ear mistake.
I notice your r's are soft in some places, I don't know if this is british. Also you have a whistling s sounds sometimes t's. When you said 'but' I hear it like 'buts'. However, you are a very good example. You inspire me. :up::up:

Chicken Sandwich

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
I notice your r's are soft in some places, I don't know if this is british.

Yes, those r's are British, although some people's r's (especially those living in Northern Ireland, Scotland and south of England) are much more pronounced. There are so many different accents spoken in the UK which is why there isn't one "British" accent.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.