Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
It's impossible to say without a context that 'must' means 'have to' and that it is used in the same way, or that it isn't.

I provided context in the 1st and 16th post. When I tried to compare "must" and "have to", I referred to those (and similar) sentences.

What about these two?

I have to clean up my bedroom
I need to clean up my bedroom

What is the difference between these two?

Perhaps you should start a new thread if you want to introduce "ought" and "should" and "need to" etc. or it's going to get extremely complicated.

You're right, "ought to" is and "should" (which I never mentioned and am not interested in) are quite different and shouldn't be discussed here, my bad. However, I feel that "need to" has a very similar meaning to "have to" and "must" and can be discussed here. The only reason why I didn't add "need to" to the tile is that I just didn't remember it when I started the thread.

Last edited:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I've been following this thread and am simply confused about my own answer.

I do feel "must" is stronger than "have to."

For example, at work, I might say "I have to leave at 2 today. I have to go to dentist." Someone might say "Well, I've scheduled a meeting at 1. Can you make it?" And I would say "Yes, but I *must* leave right at 2."

Or I might say "I have to stop at the grocery store on the way home." And if someone says "There was a big accident on Route 30 and traffic is crawling" (knowing that's how I get to the grocery store) I may say "Oh, then I'll go tomorrow." But if I'm completely out of toilet paper at home, then "I *must* stop at the grocery story today, darn it, even though Route 30 is closed. It will take me forever to get there."

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
There are some instances where I feel they are interchangeable and some when they're not. I can't find any connection between them so, to be honest, it seems pointless to post my example sentences here as it might well confuse the issue further. I simply wanted to give my opinion that for me, there is no single rule for this.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I've been following this thread and am simply confused about my own answer.

I do feel "must" is stronger than "have to."

For example, at work, I might say "I have to leave at 2 today. I have to go to dentist." Someone might say "Well, I've scheduled a meeting at 1. Can you make it?" And I would say "Yes, but I *must* leave right at 2."

Or I might say "I have to stop at the grocery store on the way home." And if someone says "There was a big accident on Route 30 and traffic is crawling" (knowing that's how I get to the grocery store) I may say "Oh, then I'll go tomorrow." But if I'm completely out of toilet paper at home, then "I *must* stop at the grocery story today, darn it, even though Route 30 is closed. It will take me forever to get there."

I agree with this. I would say in most situations, "have to" is used, unless the intensity of a "must" is required.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I thought you might be interested in what some other (British) writers have to say on this:

... MUST would not be used where it is clear that there is external necessity. A distinction could in fact be drawn between three kinds of necessity, deontic (subject-oriented), neutral and external, and it could be said that MUST may be either deontic or neutral, and HAVE (GOT) TO either neutral or external; negatively, HAVE (GOT) TO is never deontic, MUST never external.

Palmer, FR (1990.116) Modality and the English Moods, 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] edn, Harlow: Longman

Where must implies ‘self-obligation’, have (got) to implies ‘obligation by external forces’.

Quirk et al, (1986.226) A Comprehensive Grammar of the English Language, Harlow: Longman

Have and Have got are most commonly used for deontic necessity, as in i [i. You have (got) to come in now.] Here they characteristically differ from must in being objective rather than subjective: with [1] I’m likely to be relaying someone else’s instruction but with You must come in it’s more likely that I am myself telling you to.

Huddleston and Pullum (2002.206-6) The Cambridge Grammar of the English Language, Cambridge: CUP

Status
Not open for further replies.