Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
“I truly believe we're at a golden age of agriculture. Global demand is at an all-time record high, and global supplies are at all-time record lows," said Matt Rush, director of the Texas Farm Bureau."Production costs are going to be valuable enough that younger people are going to have the opportunity to be involved in agriculture. "

Does the underlined sentence mean " Investments in agricultural production are going to be so valuable that younger people can take the chance to be involved in agriculture"?

Am I right?

Thanks

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It's a very strange sentence, but I think it means that agriculture will attract young people because there's enough money to be made there.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'm confused by the use of "Production costs are going to be valuable enough ..." Am I alone? :-?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I was very confused too.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Jasonlulu, a persistent and annoying habit of yours is missing out spaces between words. There are three examples of this in the short passage you quoted here.

Please take the trouble to read through your quotes before posting.

Rover

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'm confused by the use of "Production costs are going to be valuable enough ..." Am I alone? :-?

Not at all. I don't see how costs can be valuable. Had he said "investments," it would make more sense.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Jasonlulu, a persistent and annoying habit of yours is missing out spaces between words. There are three examples of this in the short passage you quoted here.

Rover

I agree that everyone should read through their posts before hitting Submit. However, to stand up just a little in the OP's defence, the fact that the Copy and Paste action here really doesn't work is something of a hindrance.

It shouldn't be unreasonable to think that if one copies and pastes a perfectly well formatted and laid-out quote, that it will paste into the post in the same way. Unfortunately, it doesn't. It does mean that we now have to proofread copied and pasted text as well as our own.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I was curious enough that I looked it up and that is the quote in the AP news story. I thing something got messed up between his statemen and the way it was recorded.

In any case, the overall meaning is as suggested above: There is money to be made in farming and young people can consider it a good career choice.

jasonlulu_2000

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China

Rover

Sorry! Many of the quotes are cut and copied from the Internet. Somehow it just turns out like that. I promise that it will never happen again.

Sorry again for any inconvenience caused!

Sincerely

Jason

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Sorry! Many of the quotes are cut and copied from the Internet. Somehow it just turns out like that. I promise that it will never happen again. Fair enough. I never thought of that. I've grumbled about it myself. You may not be able to prevent it happening again – I'll understand.

Sorry again for any inconvenience caused! That's OK. It didn't cause me any inconvenience. I just needed to get it off my chest.

Rover:)

Last edited:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I agree that everyone should read through their posts before hitting Submit. However, to stand up just a little in the OP's defence, the fact that the Copy and Paste action here really doesn't work is something of a hindrance.

It shouldn't be unreasonable to think that if one copies and pastes a perfectly well formatted and laid-out quote, that it will paste into the post in the same way. Unfortunately, it doesn't. It does mean that we now have to proofread copied and pasted text as well as our own.

You're right, of course, ems.

I should have thought of that. I've grumbled about it myself often enough.

Rover

Status
Not open for further replies.