• British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to answer this?

Quote Originally Posted by Barb_D View Post
    It would be the person who made the request who says "never mind." So you're right -- "never mind" is an odd thing for the second person to say. It's a poor question. You could argue that "No problem" works because he's saying "No problem remains" or "There's no longer any problem."
    I didn't assume there actually were 2 speakers in the original. I think 2 people were present but I think both lines were spoken by the same person, perhaps with a break in between while the second (silent) person went to turn off the radio and get the ladder.
    Remember - correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing make posts much easier to read.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

• Post Thanks / Like

However, I still can't figure why the radio must be turned off before getting the ladder . Maybe whoever was listening to it may want to resume listening after rescuing the cat. And anyway, I don't see why a radio turned on would pose a difficulty for the rescue (unless hte listener answered somthing like: "Wait a minute, I'm listening to a very interesting interview" and it took about forever for him/her to go get the d*** ladder!)
    Please be aware that I'm neither a native English speaker nor a teacher.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

• Post Thanks / Like

I couldn't fathom any reason for the radio to be turned off so I chose to ignore it and concentrate on the rest!! Maybe the speaker is one of those people who can't do something important (like rescuing a cat) while distracted by a radio or TV etc.

I heard a comedian once make a very funny observation - when we are driving and we realise we are lost, or we are looking for a specific address when in a car, why do we turn the radio down? We do! No-one can explain why but we do it!
    Remember - correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing make posts much easier to read.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

I'm easily distracted and frustrated by noise. I turn off the radio when I'm lost so I can concentrate more on what my eyes are seeing and my brain doesn't have to divide attention between eyes and ears. I can play my music freely when I already know where I'm going, because I'm not depending on sensory signals to the same degree.

I interpreted the "turn off the radio line" as "Get off your butt and stop doing what you're doing."
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Barb_D View Post
    I'm easily distracted and frustrated by noise. I turn off the radio when I'm lost so I can concentrate more on what my eyes are seeing and my brain doesn't have to divide attention between eyes and ears. I can play my music freely when I already know where I'm going, because I'm not depending on sensory signals to the same degree.

But you're a woman - you can multi-task!

I interpreted the "turn off the radio line" as "Get off your butt and stop doing what you're doing."
    Yes, I suppose if the speaker knew that the other person was simply lounging around listening to the radio, they might well have meant that!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2