[Grammar] His/her/its work : what's correct ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xBagh

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
Belgium
Current Location
Belgium
Hello,

I'm writing a motivation letter and want to conclude with something like this :
You can be assured that you will find in me a motivated and serious student with a thoroughly profound and durable enthusiasm for her work.

I'm a female, but I don't know if I have to putt "her", "its" or "his" before the "work". What's the correct sentence ?
Thanks a lot ! :)

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Welcome to Using English.

First, never use "its" for a person unless you're talking about a baby whose sex is known. In fact, the use of the singular "their" for "I don't know the sex or it's an unknown person" is fine for many of those situations.

If you are a female, you would never use "his."

So you can use "her" or you can use "my." It seems odd to refer to yourself in the third person to me. I know you are referring to "a student" but that student is you. I would actually prefer "... that you will find I am a motivated and serious student with great enthusiasm for my work."

I find "thoroughly profound enthusiam" a little over the top.

BrunaBC

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
Barb_D, in xBagh's sentence, what if we use the gerund? (..profound enthusiasm for working) or use the article 'the' (..enthusiasm for the work)

xBagh

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
Belgium
Current Location
Belgium
So you can use "her" or you can use "my." It seems odd to refer to yourself in the third person to me. I know you are referring to "a student" but that student is you. I would actually prefer "... that you will find I am a motivated and serious student with great enthusiasm for my work."

I find "thoroughly profound enthusiam" a little over the top.

Wow, thanks for your quick answer !

Okay, I'll go for "my". :)
I know the sentence is a bit "over the top" but I have to because its a very academic and formal letter.

Have a nice day !

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Very formal" does not mean an irrational display of exuberance is a benefit.

I'm not sure we can have "profound enthusiasm" - you can have great enthusiasm, much enthusiasm, significant enthusiasm, but I'm not at all happy with profound.

In any case, good luck.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Barb_D, in xBagh's sentence, what if we use the gerund? (..profound enthusiasm for working) or use the article 'the' (..enthusiasm for the work)

It's not "working in general" - it's her own assignments that she attacks with relish.
We haven't identified her work yet, so using "the" is not appropriate. There is no common understanding of which work you mean.

Status
Not open for further replies.