Post Thanks / Like

Red face wilder places for wild things

I just finished a story titled " wilder places for wild things" which is about the role of zoo in protecing wild animals. Here what does it mean exactly by wilder places?
    also as always i have several questions about the following sentences whose meaning is not clear to me and again i need your help.

1. Minnesots is one of the few zoos to get them to reproduce in captivity. what does it mean? and here them indicates zoos?

2. zoos are striving to make their settings match their new role as keepers of the biological flame. here what does it mean biological flame?

3.... the call of the wild can shape their behaviour. what does this sentnece mean and what exactly the call imply?

4.for all their breeding success, though, [U]zoos will become little more than [/U]Noah's ark if nature continues to give way to pavement. what does the undrliend sentence imply?

5.The closer you come to mimicking nature in captivity, the easier that is. again what does it mean you come to mimicking nature in captiity?

6. Lastly, for as the wild places go, so go the wild animals. what does it mean?

sorry for giving such a long question and your kind explantion will be a great help for me to improve my english skills.

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: wilder places for wild things

1- them = the animal that normally doesn't reproduce in zoos
    2- protectors of biodivesity, endangered species, etc
    3- it is a yearning, a desire to be there- something primal makes them want to be in their natural envirnoment
    4- if we continue to build on the natural envirnment and destroy it, then zoos will be like Noah's arks with a few examples of species that no longer exist in their natural habitat
    5- reproducing it in a convincing way
    6- as the natural world is destroyed, so are the wild animals that live there

Alramah is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: wilder places for wild things

hi every one here that is my first paticipation here....

i have two questions could any one answer it please, and it is related to this topic which

is "wilder places for wild things"

1) why do you think zoos have taken on the responsibility of preserving endangered species?

2) why do zoos assume greater imporance as more animals move onto the endangered species list?

i'm sorry for giving such a long question and your kind explantion will be a great help for me to improve my english skills