Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
UK
This task comes from the book: Cambridge Grammar for CAE and Proficiency

You have recently read an article in an English language magazine aimed at young adults, which reported a survey finding that television was considered to be the most important invention of the last 100 years. You decide to write an article arguing that another invention has had as great an impact. Describe the invention and the impact it has had on our world, and say why you think it is more important than television.

Write your article in 300-350 words.

According to an article I have recently read in an English language magazine, television is considered to be the most important invention of the last 100 years. This conclusion is based on a survey carried out among young adults.
One may be easily convinced to agree with such a statement. Indeed, television is one of the most significant inventions of the last century. It has become part of every household in modern societies and has influenced our lifestyles. It is not only a means of leisure, it has a vast influence on our minds as well.
However, at the end of 20[SUP]th[/SUP] century, another medium appeared in the world, which in my opinion, has become even more powerful and engaging. It is the Internet.
What began as a concept of creating a network connecting various computers for military purposes soon developed into a new widespread medium which has exerted drastic impact on culture and commerce. I will go so far as to claim that it is now more important than television, particularly as being as source of news. I cannot provide any relevant statistics, however I dare to make a guess that more people use internet rather than TV as a source of news and information nowadays. Sitting in front of TV sets doesn’t appear to be the main form of spending free time at home anymore. It has been replaced by a computer with internet connection.
Internet is a new, powerful means of communicating that has brought about changes in business and ordinary lives. It can have a huge influence on human mind and soul in contemporary world. One can mention the obvious negative aspects of this influence, however it is without doubt very meaningful.
Regardless of whether the majority will agree with me or not, one has to admit that the Internet truly has been an amazing revolution.

leszkoss

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
UK
Thanks for corrections and tips. I wonder what score I would get for such a text on CAE exam.

Status
Not open for further replies.